Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question - I have been told that a Air-Locker is the ONLY option for added traction in the front diff on a 1/2 ton Dana 44. Why couldn't you say, use a limited slip? HELP!!!!
LUV24BY

·
Registered
241 Posts
That isn't so! You could put any traction aiding device in the front. if it's a straight locker or something of that sort the inner workings will just spin constant. It does create extra wear on parts because they move (rotate) all the time, but some people don't care.

You could put a LSD in or a Detroit, an ARB, The new Eaton E-locker when it comes out or a cable locker (i can't think of the name)

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
YOu can use whatever will fit the Dana 44. The only thing is that with fixed hubs and the CAD unit, any traction device (other than those that are switchable like an ARB or OX) will turn the front driveshaft all the time.

This will cause some additonal wear and lower mileage and it also turns the transfer case output shaft, but without the main TC gearing running you do not get proper fluid flow/splash.

I have heard of several people running a traction device in the front without problems, but I am continually reminded of the potentenial problems by others as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
How difficult is it to upgrade the frontend to locking hubs? Can you just swap everything from the knuckles out with older D44 stuff? Or does the CAD cause problems? Is it easier to just swap in a whole new axle that originaly came with locking hubs?

Just curious. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On the unit bearing versions of the D44, you need to actually cutoff the yoke from the axle tubs are replace them along with the outer knuckles. The older styles parts you need to use have the ball joints in the outer knuckle, not on the axle yoke like the new versions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if I am not mistaken - I would say that axle-shafts themselves are (with a 1997) always turning and the frt driveshaft only turns because of certain speeds the axleshafts turn at. I thought a LSD would be the best, considering it will allow for some slack. What I don't understand is why couldn't those engineers designs someting other than the D44 with the fixed hubs, pains in my ass. I can't justify an ARB for $700+ only to risk a air leak in the worst of times! I have other things before the ARB. I would like to switch out the LSD in the rear to a full locker though. What's everyone running?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ARB up front, Detroit at the other end

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
a locker only works when it senses torque being applied to it right? so theoretically it shouldnt spin the driveshaft right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts