Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here performed their own R&P and Locker intall? Im thinking of replacing my gears with 4.56 R&Ps and while Im in there, replace the open diff with a type of Locker. Also, has anyone replaced their OEM axles with aftermarket axles or even the u-joints with the Dana Spicers? Im wondering if I should do the work myself and save on install charges, or just have a shop do it? I've seen the instructions and it looks pretty straight forward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Tunis,

Unless you have access to a good shop I would not do the R&P yourself. Setting up all the depths and clearances can be a pain.

I would probably keep the LDS in the back unless you want to spend the money on a better one. I would not get a locker for the rear.

I would seriously think about an air locker for the front since you are already in there.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tunis,

I think the Detroit locker I had put in the rear was the BEST thing I have done to increase my truck's capability off road. Jason also has the rear Detroit and it's not bad on the street. When my wife drives my truck she doesn't even notice it. When I drive it I've got a heavier right foot so it will scrub the inside tire on turns under harder throttle. I have absolutely zero regrets doing it. People with lighter trucks and manual trannies seem to notice it more.

By the way, I was going to go to Pismo with you guys but I just found out (minutes ago) that I need to replace the front hub bearings-if I get it done before Pismo I'll be there!)

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I'd have a shop do it unless you can get the tools and have someone there that has successfully setup gears before.

Like Kevin said, the rear locker is awesome, but it depends on how aggressive you are going to get offroad. It makes wheeling so much easier and fun. Onroad drawbacks are limited if you ask me, unless you drive in snow/ice a lot.

Remember that the LSD will only get you so far until it turns into an open diff, just when you need it most.

The front u-joints you could do yourself but have the shop do them for you when they pull the shafts to do the gears. Use the new Spicer 5-760x instead of the stock 5-297x, they are about %20 stronger (thicker cross and thicker pins). Here are some pics:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts