Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that most "class II" suspension systems replace the upper and lower control arms. This is obviously done because the old arms won't reach at the new angle, or won't have the same travel distance right? I plan on a 5" BDS Suspension system (after I get taxes), I just got new shoes on the truck and don't wanna change 'em unless I have to. Anyway, the question is: Will changing the control arms change the geometry of the angle between the wheel and the arm? (ie, will my tire still rub if I change the upper control arm when I lift it?).
1999 sport with 285 16s wild country tires on stock rims rum at full left turn with compression.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As you lift the truck, the angle of the arm with respect to the tire will change, moving the arm up away from the widest part of the tire (the center of the tire), so it should rub less.

But as you lift the truck, the track-bar may shift to the driver's side, unless the BDS kit compensates for that.

Also, the replacement arms are to correct the caster (forward lean of the centerline of the ball-joints between the axle tubes and the knuckles) back to a stock angle, and they also can push the axle forward, becase as the axle drops away from the frame, it swings back a little as it drops.

If you look at most 3" kits, you'll see that the tires are back maybe a 1/4-1/2" or so. Just enough to kinda not look right. But by the time you hit 5" of lift, it starts getting noticeable.

The arms are about 18" long, and at 3" of lift the tire should move back about a 1/4", and at 5" of lift, just over 3/4" back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know much about dodges and their suspension, but my lift for my Cherokee replaced the lower control arms and left the stock uppers in place. Now my tires rub against the left lower arm at just about full lock to the left. Maybe wheels with larger backspacing would solve your rubbing problem and mine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts