Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of upgrades are available for the 6cyl Cummings motor? Which ones have you done? Any one using the "jake brake"?
After mod's, what were the improvements in HP, torque, fuel economy etc....
What would be the number one mod to start with that the truck couldn't live without?
Reason for questions, I stinking about getting one!
Thanks....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Cummins actually has a carb, EPA apporved upgrade to like 505 ft lbs of torque that will not void any warranties or anything. To the best of my knowledge tho that upgrade is only available for 1998+ manual transmission trucks.

But yeah, Banks has some serious kick ass toys for the ISB Cummins (the ISB is what is in the ram's).

-Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
jprtroy,

The first thing that any diesel owner should look at is gauges.
In a couple weeks I am getting gauges to monitor EGT, fuel pressure, boost, and trans temp.

There are a ton of upgrades, fuel boxes, injectors, exhaust, turbos,

I am not sure about the Banks kits. I looked into them. They arent bad but cost to Hp/Tq gain ration isnt as high as it could be.

Bill

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There are a lot of upgrades avaliable. I personally like the banks stuff and am planning on buying one of their kits with tax return money. I like the fact it comes with new exhaust, turbo, etc.. Bullydog also makes a propane injection system, which is supposed to be pretty nice, then there is always NOS, and different computers and all that.

Nick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well I'm going to get the propane kit as soon as I figure out what I'm going to do when I blow my tranny. Cause I know I will. Also waiting to sell my Dakota. I would do some mods to the exhaust. You could get a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, the list is endless just like a gasser.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Check out this site:

http://www.wildcatdiesel.com

I know the owner (via e-mail, never in person), and he's got a good reputation as an honest-type person (helps to manage a 400-member dodge ram mailing list I'm also a member of).

He's a rancher by trade, and got into this by seduction of the evils of BOMB'd dielsels.

It's amazing what $1200 will get you with a cummins. At least 130+hp, 200+tq...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
$1200 into a stock cummins, and you could be at 700-800 lb-ft, depending on things. Do intake and exhaust work, and you can gain more, a LOT more. Basically, you can feed the truck enough fuel for it to melt the turbo, so the limit becomes how much air you can get through the engine, to keep it running cooler.

Diesel go-fast goodies make the cost for gasser toys just disgusting... And you lose almost no streetability, up to a point.

I know people on the other list running 800+ lb-ft, and average 20-22 mpg when they aren't hot-rodding, and 12-15 when they are towing. Talk about [email protected] impressive for the same-size engine as my 360.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
all i have to say is HX-40 TURBO and 300 HP marine injectors (with proper modifications to accomidate for the HUGE amount of air ur 700 Hp motor will be sucking. and of course HUGE exhaust u will need. oh and sorry all u cummins boys w/the auto tranny u have no shot ur tranny will not handle that much power. would be gone within a couple weeks

·
Registered
472 Posts
there are auto trannys made to hold 700+ hp--so settle down there sportram before you give us auto guys a bad rap---the BANKS Kits are nicely machined and their best feature is the ottomind which cuts back the fuel so you never go above 1300* which is the so called melting point of pistons(I've hit 1740* and the truck is going strong)--other than that you're paying a lot for the name---there are better ways to use your money and get more HP----

Guages first and foremost--especially the EGT and fuel pressure guages--

you will need to upgrade the clutch in a manual or torque convertor and valvebody in an auto when you start up the HP highway--in fact I highly recommend you do it or plan on it--

you can get bigger turbos and bigger exhaust to help move that air to keep EGT's down to some extent--bigger injectors and boxes for the 24V---the 12v are mechanical so it's parts you need to replace to punch out the potential in the engine----there is

http://www.performancediesel.net in Half Moon Bay--this guy was/is one of the fathers of HP upgrades---tons of knowledge--

http://www.xtremediesel.com ---great guys that know their stuff--they're out of Modesto

you need to really think about where you want go with the HP because it's so easy to get caught up and buy something only to find out you should of bought the higher HP stuff---

my truck has injectors that add 100hp or 200hp depending on which ones are in--

and EDGE box that add 150 hp

a B1 turbo that moves a lot of air

4" exhaust by Jardine

ATS exhaust manifold

torque convertor and valve body from http://www.dieseltrans.com

SPA guages on the "A" pillar

and more goodies

one of the most important things though are the guages--even though 1300* is the start of the red zone you can go way beyond this for 1/4 miles races and sled pulling but you don't want to run an extended amount of time above 1300*----hope this helps---chris

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Chris, are you happy with all your stuff? I want to up my truck anywhere from 100-150 hp just to give the truck some bigger nuts, but I'm not sure what kit to get. I was looking at banks, but now you bring up these guys and they look pretty good? How about some advice.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
i know chris i was refering to the stock auto tranny boys. :wink: if their are any diesel boys here on the east coast check out http://www.enterpriseengine.com Dave can do some AMAZING things to a cummins as if u can't tell by the pic on the front page of the site

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I would like to change my 2000 1500 5.2 for a 2002, 2500 diesel, the problem is that I don´t know if the change worth it because we are talking about a huge difference of money, so here is a question for the diesel´s guys. Does the difference of money worth the change of a 5.2 V8 to a Cummins Diesel?, I´m refering to MPG and Diesel Price.
Once I read in a 4Wheeler magazine and they compare a Chevy 5.3 V8 with the 6.5 Litre Diesel engine and they said that you don´t save a penny. Is this right?

·
Registered
472 Posts
sportram--I was just ribbin' ya--I didn't take any offense----

guys sportram is right about enterprise engine--Dave knows his stuff big time--maybe more so on the 12v vs the 24v, but he is a good guy also...

Badboy---boxes and injectors--I prefer and recommend you get EDGE products--you have 3 options: EZ box which will add about 60 hp and 130 lbs of torque add onto this a Power Edge box which will up you another 100hp(with the use of bigger injectors) and then there is the COMP box which is EZ and the Power Edge in one--on the COMP and Power Edge you need to tap into the VP44 pump wire to make it totally affective--the EZ box will work by itself and with injectors----I may have available the EZ and Power Edge box off of my truck as I'm testing the race COMP now (the Power Edge is HOT,HOT(that means more power on the top 2 settings than the regular Power Edge box))--

the COMP box has 5 settings and within those setting you can program some sub settings-the new cost is around $800-$900 I think---

the Power Edge has 3 settings & new it costs about $700-$800

the EZ has 3 settings & costs about $600-$700 new--

I could be a little off on the pricing--

injectors--anywhere from 60 hp up to 200hp and pricing is around $400-$1000

to get to 150 hp I suggest the EZ and some DDII or DDIII injectors--you could get some BullyDog injectors also--they run a little cheaper--If I keep the comp I'll make you a deal on my EZ and the Power Edge to if you want it also---but really if you want both you may want to price the race COMP because it may be cheaper than what I'd part with both boxes (I'd have to think about the price-but I'd make it a deal on either box or both whatever you wanted)

you will need guages--not so much with the EZ and injectors eventhough it's a very,very smart thing to have, but with any of the other combinations it's a must---

also do you have an auto or stick--with the EZ and injectors either one may last for a while, but of course it depends how hard you drive it also---with the other combo's it will be easy to toast the clutch or auto in no time---

chiliram---you can't compare those chevy engines to the cummins--as with mileage it all depends on how you drive--but typically you should get great mileage out of the cummins--and even if you do some upgrades with injectors and boxes guys have seen a mileage increase over stock---I'd say do it and you'll be happy and with a couple of upgrades you'll be so stoked you won't believe it---chris

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
CSUTTON7, you own a diesel, so here is another question: Do you off road it?, if you do, Does it perform well off roading? I ask you this because I know that the Cummins is a lot more heavier than the Magnum V8, so I thought that the off road performance on Sand and Mud wouldn´t be as good as the Magnum V8. Am I right? :bigthumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
well I've only been on some back country mtn trails here in CA and NV--nothing worth talking about---I mainly built the truck or started to with offroading in mind and have now been doing sled pulls with it---I do plan to offroad with it but since I need to make a skid plate for my gravity fed fuel system--I'm reluctant to take it anywhere crazy for fear of breaking off the fitting---so I'm really worth no info--but yes it's heavy in the front end, but the torque is so great that I would think it would overcome that---some of my buddies have had no prob's with airing down the tires on sand and some of them do/did mudbogs with very impressive results--like they banned us cuz we kick the gassers A$$es---wish I had more real life stuff to give---once I get the skid plate on I'll be joining the boys out here for a little fun....chris

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Csutton7 Can you explain what that "gravity fed fuel system" is and why your using it? I assumed that the diesel was fuel injected, and needed a fuel pump. Why would it need a skid plate? I take, it's not on top of the engin?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another Question for you diesel guys, How hard is it to locate fuel? My grand parents have a Chevy truck with a diesel (their first) and on a trip from San Diego to Santa Cruz, on HYW 101 they had issues trying to locate diesel fuel.
What do you do on long trips? Follow the 18 wheelers? How about up in the Sierras? I can't recall seeing many stations with diesel, (course I wasn't loking then, having a gas motor)
What do you guys do?

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Thanks csutton7.
I need an advise. Is there a big difference in offroad performance between the diesel (2500) and the V8 (1500)(with no engine upgrades)? Because I saw once a F350 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel with stock tires, performing great on sand, and I beleive that that truck is heavier than a Dodge Diesel. So I suppose that the performance of the Dodge Diesel also should be great. Am I ok?. Share your off road experience Diesel Guys. Please. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts