Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing the trans oil,filter,gasket change over the weekend. can you recommend the brands or types of oils,filters,gaskets that I'll need? Also the manual suggests adjusting the bands, but on your Auto.Trans Service article, you don't mention anything about adjusting the bands. Is this necessary, or is it only for extreme driving? Thanks, Rik

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I just use Valvoline ATF+3 and a Fram filter/gasket kit.

I feel that you should adjust the bands if you find gunk in the tranny pan once you drop it or if it is not quite shifting correctly. For my 97, the HD service calls for adjsutments every 12,000 miles or something like that. Although the regular service schedule does not mention it at all.

There is a link in the article to a site that has the printed instructions for adjusting the bands.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The place I went to get tranny oil and a filter kit asked me what kind of oil i was going to use and i told Dexron/Mercon III. He said NO. Only use Mopar tranny fluid because Mopar trannies are high friction transmissions and with the Dexron/Mercon III the tranny would burn up and not be any good. So I took his advice seeing how he has done tests to see what tranny fluid is good in certain transmissions.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Dexron and Mercon III are different from ATF+3. THose are GM and Ford fluids. You need to use ATF+2 ATF+3 or anything else equivalent to 7176 fluid.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I heard a couple Dodge Mech's talking about the ATF+2 being no good, they were saying the ATF+3 is as good as the Dodge stuff, but then again these are the same losers that call my engine knock just a "Monster Tire Noise".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JasonB, 1st thanks for your reply, I just read on TSB 21-006-01 94-01 RAM TRUCKS (BR/BE & DR) it says the upgraded fluid is now ATF+4 (type 9602),part#05013457AA. its suppose to have replaced ATF2&3. Thats fine, know the only problem I have is,what does (BR/BE & DR) stand for? & does my truck qualify? Thanks again for your help. Rik

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Not sure or DR but BR and BE are the regular cab and extended cab Ram pickups. They are just the mfg codes for the models.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-17 10:54, JasonB wrote:
Not sure or DR but BR and BE are the regular cab and extended cab Ram pickups. They are just the mfg codes for the models.

DR = dually?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just changed my tranny fluid and used Valvoline ATF+3. Everything seems ok, but I think Ill be safe and use Mopar Gear Oil when I swap out the rear end grease.I used an Autozone filter in the tranny, ( I worked for them) and the only complaint I had was that the old gasket was glued to the pan from the factory paint on the pan, and while taking the gasket off the razor scraper slipped and sliced my finger open deep. LOL
Since then, I have noticed a slight leak on one of the cooler lines at the hose clamp. Im sure it was there before-you would think Mopar would know better than to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts