Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least an 8k winch (not so much for the pulling power, but for the strenhth of the winch, so it doesnt break in the middl eof the pull), and I would say try to fin da used warn rather than a cheap chinese winch.

Ohter than replacing the solenoids, my 10+ year old warn still works bitchin.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'd only use warn for there reliability and strength. Get a 9500i. It would be perfect for your setup

·
Registered
741 Posts
i dunno what the hell u guys r talkin about but my old warn 8k has seen the {expletive} of wheelin. and its drug me and my buddys tied together through some pretty deep gooey {expletive} and never had a problem.

so im gonna say dont go out and spend some serious bucks on a new warn or milemarker or whatever. my dibs go to the older warns...the newer ones tend to fry selenoids and overheat. i picked mine up from a guy in the paper...lucky find i guess but if u can find one they run underwater packed with mud in 25* weather...they just go. but im def gonna say stick to warn. and for your truck you shoudnt need anything bigger than an 8k winch. i mean you could prolly pull ur truck out of some decent crap with a double lined 2k winch. ive seen it done but dont recommend it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i sure hope you plan on makin a guard for that...that plastic control box is gonna yell at trees. "hit me hit me" i can see it all now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey slowrunner, Here is the start of my new winch plate for my 92 toyota's milemarker E9000. Doesn't look like much now, but I will keep you posted. I should turn out really nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
On 2005-12-26 15:00, 15in Silverado wrote:
If you are talking about me, I really don't plan on driving straight into any trees :silly: BTW I already sold this rig.

haha i didnt intend on running straight into any trees either. until i did. :roll: damn slippery mud. :wall:
:naughty:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2005-12-27 12:41, 15in Silverado wrote:
And the front

Why did you mount it soo high?

Mine mounted down, and bolted through the frame (it sits really close to my radiator.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't want to take over this guys thread, but I mounted it up high because I didn't want to hit it on the rocks. And I wanted to keep my approch angle really good. I saw another thing this last weekend that made me glad it is up so high, I saw I guy dunking his head is cold a$$ water trying to unlock his winch because it was mounted too low and was under water. Do what you like, that's what I do...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts