Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound dumb but since I dont know I have to ask.

Are only some of the Swampers radials? I noticed on their web site that only the TSL are listed as radials and not all of them are. Does that mean the rest are all bias ply tires?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Most Interco tires are bias ply. The SSRs are only in radial and the TSLs have a separate radial version (slightly tighter lug pattern, but still more than the SSRs). The new TrXus Mud Terrain and their tacky-ass all-terain are radial only. Not sure about the Thornbirds (too lazy to check)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Thornbird is only offered in a bias ply version. That being said, are there any advantages of bias ply over radial, or vice versa? I was told that radials wear better on the road. Kind of late now though, I just bought a set of 35 x 12.20 x 15 ProComp Mud Terrains today. He he he. Now the Bronco might be a lil bigger than your Dodge Jason. Now all I need is gears, a locker, and lots of driving skills. = )

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Bias ply tires have the advantage of tough sidewalls while still offering tons of sidewall flex. Much more than radials. The main problem is that the bias tires wear faster and track poorly on the road compared to radials. That is why radials were created, less wander on the highway.

Can't wait to see the Bronco now Nick!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are Pro-Comp Mud-Terrain's bias ply or radial? If they are bias ply...does this mean they will have "sweet spots" after sitting in the same place after a while. I'm not sure that this is the correct term..but I'm just repeating what someone said about the Swamper Thornbirds. What I mean is...will there be an indention in the tire where it has been sitting?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The Pro-Comp tires are radials and should not get any flat spots.

Yes, bias ply tires will get a flat spot after sitting all night until they warm up after 2 miles or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts