question about sas swap....

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by biggreentractor, Aug 10, 2009.

1. biggreentractor

biggreentractor New Member

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if i buy a front axle out of a mid 80's chevy, blazer or pickup, if i could use the transfer case from that truck on my 4l60...

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

if it is a 27 spline input case from a 700r4 then from what i understand you can swap it, you will have to work out something for the shift linkage , personally i would put in a 2wd trans and a divorced np205 as the np208/np241 is not that strong

3. biggreentractor

the reason im asking is the front chevy axles are a dime a dozen around here where the ford dana seems pretty hard to come by... i like my truck now but here soon its going to be strictly a toy, and im not too sure how much i like the idea of running a 42" tire cause i hear that i will go through axles like underwear..... so if i was to sas the truck what truck would i go about finding the 205 transfer case?

4. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

to run a chevy dana 60 axle then you want to find a divorced 205 from a 70's dodge

you could also use a pre 1994 dodge dana 60 as its almost the same identical axle as a chevy dana 60

5. biggreentractor

so what would u say is the biggest tire to run with ifs and not be changing axles every other ride?..lol

6. Bribyk

Bribyk New Member

You love that divorced 'case, eh, Ken? I'm kinda in a related bind here... 2wd TH400's are a cheap and plentiful but I'm having issues finding a 4wd/NP208 version. I'm only running 6" of lift so I shouldn't need a divorced 'case but I'm tempted just for tranny availability. Did you have to get a custom shaft made to go from your trans to 205? I think I'll probably end up breaking even money-wise going divorced or not because of all of the driveshaft modifications...

7. Bribyk

Bribyk New Member

35" seems to be the consensus on biggest IFS tire size but there are a few on here who've gotten away with running bigger...

8. biggreentractor

just wondering because im runnung about 15" of lift, and i havent bought tires yet..... but 35's look about as nice as a burnt down house....lol

9. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

35's are the limit for gm ifs, anything larger off road and you will get carnage

10. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

a auto trans with 6" lift would be ok, but a sm465 would be at the limit with a 6"

i built my own intermediate 8" 1350 yoke shaft from some shafts i had and a cut down(shortened) np208 yoke.

divorced case setups are so much better for shaft angles and leave room to go much higher later if you wanted to

11. biggreentractor

so i hope this isnt too stupid of a question but what exactly do u mean by a "divorced" case..?

12. olyelr

olyelr Well-Known Member

The transfer case and transmision are not bolted together, but are linked with a small driveshaft.

13. biggreentractor

yea i just pulled my head out of my ass and figured it out....lol..... i guess all it took was a minute of thinking..haha...but thanks for the info.... im trying to find a ford dana... but finding one isnt the easiest thing... i dunno which way i'd come out better...i just know the 12" lift sounded great and i trust it driving around, and i pretty much trust the kit off road, but i would rather spend a little extra money sas'n the truck than spend a whole lot on destryed parts in the long run....make sense?

14. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

if you want 12" lift then you will need a ford high pinion d60 and a divorced case for sure, 10" is pushing it for a low pinion axle with a auto trans and married t-case and 12" would never work

15. Bribyk

Bribyk New Member

Hi-jack again, sorry: f'it, I found a good deal on a D44 w/ flat top knuckle and 205 t-case so I'm gonna go that way. I think I'll have better luck finding a 205-ready TH400 anyway. I'm gonna need some driveshaft mod's to do this but everything up to my axles will be tried'n'true then.

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU New Member

Only problem with this is that I've found the divorced Dodge-spec cases to be extremely rare. MUCH more so than the Ford-spec counterpart.

17. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Guest

they are more rare but i have found quite a few around here, internationals also had a divorced 205 with a passenger side drop

18. sheldon wilfong

sheldon wilfong New Member

Okay so I have a few questions about my 1997 chevy Silverado so for cab short bed I am gonna solid axle Swap it I have another frame with the bds lift springs already on it already. I just need some answers on what to do I am getting chevy heavy half tons I guess so I have a 5 speed in my truck now I believe it's a nv3500 so I know I need a passenger side drop transfer case but what case will bolt up to my tranny and what other things so I know