Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is making me some new shock towers so I can run the Rancho 9000 shocks(he works for a tool and die company and can fabricate anything!) The question I have is how much drop should there be on the axle before the shocks bottom out? In other words, I'm trying to decide on how tall the shock tower should be. Right now with the towers off, the shock fully extended is about 6" above the top of the spring

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Kinda depends on what you want. The RS9000s have internal bump stops, and possibly internal elongation stops as well.

But, if you 4-link will let you get enough droop that you disengage the spring, you'll want to run limiting straps.

I'd try to maximize shock travel, so bring the top of the shock as low as you can and not fully compress the shock when the suspension is fully compressed, and give an inch or two for a fudge factor.

Then if you ever go to say, 8" of lift, the same size shock will still work.

But if you find you're disengaging springs, you should come up with a spring retainer to keep them firmly seated in the buckets, or run limiting stramps so that you can't flex the springs out of the suspension... Which would suck.

I'd definitely invest in a good set of poly bump-stops that will allow you to set the axle on the stops, and NOT push the tire through the fenders, just in case the spring comes out during extreme flex.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts