Off Road Vehicles banner

PSD Starting problems

838 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MMiller 
#1 ·
Well a couple of weeks ago I changed my fpr spring to a bigger one. Then it got kinda cold on me and I have been getting it to start but it's throwing a lot of white smoke and doesn't want to seem to warm up. ow this doesnt happen all the time, but I would say once or twice a week. Talking to blackdog about it and we came to the conclusion of un-winterized fuel. Well I don't know if that is what it is. Then this week I was driving along and my fuel filter seal blew and my god was that ever a mess. Don't know if that is related or not. Well let me know what you guys think. :wall:

#2 ·
How has it been starting since the fuel filter was repaired? Any better? Maybe some air getting into the fuel system. Also I know that the 7.3's don't start well if a few glow plugs are bad. Have you checked them? My old PS needed to be plugged in under 30 degrees until the glow plugs were replaced, then it would start unassisted down to about 0. White smoke is usually unburned fuel, which kinda leads me to the glowplugs. Does it hit on a couple of cylinders, and you still need to crank until it picks up the rest? Will is start fine if the truck is warm?

Michael

#3 ·
miller i thought black smoke equaled unburnt fuel and white ment defueling?

#4 ·
when cranking white smoke means you are getting fuel into the cylinder...basically unburnt fuel...when running, the black smoke indicates unburnt (excess) fuel/fun.

when you shimmed the FPR, did you check it afterwards? i put in the "proper" spring in mine, and checked it and about passed out...135 psi...seriously. i had to cut the spring down to bring it back to a nice, even 70. if you are running way too much pressure, yep, it'll cause those issues...

Josh

#5 ·
On 2005-12-02 21:21, RattlinFord wrote:
when cranking white smoke means you are getting fuel into the cylinder...basically unburnt fuel...when running, the black smoke indicates unburnt (excess) fuel/fun.

when you shimmed the FPR, did you check it afterwards? i put in the "proper" spring in mine, and checked it and about passed out...135 psi...seriously. i had to cut the spring down to bring it back to a nice, even 70. if you are running way too much pressure, yep, it'll cause those issues...

Josh

you know that is what I was suspecting. I think that I will check it when I get a chance. Also it has only done it once since the filter problem. When it was plugged in it done it once also.

#6 ·
White smoke when the engine is cold, is unburnt fuel due to the lack of heat in the cylinder. Thats why your engine has glow plugs, to heat the cylinder up, and help ignite the fuel on startup, and until the engine can support itself. Black smoke is unburnt fuel due to lack of necessary air.

Defuel is what happens when the governor weights overcome the spring and they balance, it cuts the fuel back to keep the engine from overreving.

I'm not much of a Ford guy, what's the FPR spring? Fuel Pressure Regulating? Where does it go?

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.