Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here installed a propane kit? I'm thinking about adding propane. I've got some tax money to spend!!! :): I was wondering if anyone knew of anything bad about adding propane. I have looked at a couple kits not sure if I should do it though. I just know I'm going to burn up my crappy auto tranny. Is it worth it???

·
Registered
969 Posts
Propane definitely burns better and will burn more of it than gasoline (no hydrocarbons). The only downside is the danger of the tank, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also propane isn't as efficient as gas, but the cool burn makes up for that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also this is a add-on. This propane is only a supplement to the diesel fuel. I'm not changing to only run off propane. Just in case anyone was confused.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Not exactly like NOS, but sorta. You can add NOS to a diesel also. I have seen a Dodge diesel with 700 horses, and 1024 ft-lbs. with an HX-40 turbo (I think) putting out 45 lbs of boost, a Nitrous system, and a Propane injection system. Nitrogen and oxygen in NO2 split at about 570 degrees, so I think it burns quite a bit hotter than Propane. Since there is two molecules of Oxygen for Every one molecule of Nitrogen, it makes for lotsa oxygen in your air (NO2 is 36% oxygen by molecule weight). Propane is very efficient, and a clean burning fuel (as was said before).
I know bullydog makes a propane add on kit. You can get the add on, and the tank from them I believe, but I don't remember the price. If you go to their website, http://www.bullydog.com, they will send you info. They claim gains of 200+ hp. from your engine. Hope that helps.

Nick.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins QuadCab, 4 1/2" skyjacker Stage I,315/75/16 TXR's, K&N air filter, smitybilt brushguard with 2- 6X9 KC daylighters, pilot reverse lights, bedliner, front and rear door steps,Cobra CB, Bushwacker fender flares, More to come...

·
Registered
502 Posts
before adding any real power to your diesel you want to make sure you have gauges to monitor everything and then upgrade the trans.

I plan to add a SunCoast torque converter and Valve body to my truck in about a month or so.
After that I am looking at an Edge Comp box and injectors. maybe a turbo down the line.
There are lots of things that can be done.

·
Registered
969 Posts
What kinda extra stress does propane put on the the tranny? except a little jump in horsepower

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-24 14:24, Outlaw Ram wrote:
What kinda extra stress does propane put on the the tranny? except a little jump in horsepower

making more power than the tranny was design to handle in stock form.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm looking into the bullydog kit they should be sending me info. Dodge Auto trannys can't handle the stock hp and torque of a cummings, so with this I may kill the tranny. Still would be fun to have. I just wouldn't use it all the time, only when I wanted to smoke someone or for pulling my trailer. That should help extend the trannys life.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Propane is like CRACK COCANE! to a diesel :): it give the diesel the best trip of its life. NOS and diesels have been done, but propane is more common/safer.

-Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
talk to the guy at http://www.performancediesel.net he's the guy who has had propane and NOS on for a long time and should be able to set you up-- another guy is Brandon Fenley at http://www.xtremediesel.com both of these guys are great guys---I've got a kit in the garage but want to mount a tank where the spare fits, but haven't found one yet(haven't been looking real hard either)---the Bully Dog kit is nice, but I'd still talk to one or both of my buddies--they know the ins and outs---main thing is to watch out for detonation and a blown head gasket, but if you get it dialed in you should be ok----both NOS and propane are like steroids to our diesels--set it up right and hang on----chris

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Another place to check is <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.wildcatdiesel.com/" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->. They guy that runs it is playing with lots of toys, and runs a Comp DRAG box, DDIII injectors, and is up around 800lb-ft or more. Haven't gotten the latest numbers since he went with the DRAG box.

But he's got a lot of info on keeping the auto's reliable, although he prefers people only tweak up the manuals... And then the NV5600, not the 4500. The auto can't take the stock engine, let alone nearly double that in torque...

Some people have done some valve-body and torque-converter work, and gotten fairly reliable, but anyone that tows regularly with an auto has pretty much killed it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, seeing as my damb horse tried to kill me the other day I thought about giving that hobby up and sticking to wheeling. But I'd miss horse too much, they have been in my life much longer than trucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts