Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tackled my pinging problem today, at least my first attack at it.

Basically, I ping under load (uphill) from 2500rpm and up, and NOT at WOT. When I open it up to WOT, it goes away.

Because it only happens at part-throttle, it shows that it's most likely a heat issue. At WOT, the engine computer (ecu) runs the mix rich, for power, and then at light throttle, it runs it fairly lean, right around the threshold of pinging, for emissions reasons.

First thing I did was check the TSB on the plug-wire routing. Basically, the TSB boils down to keeping the wires for 2 and 5 away from 7 and 8, and running the coil wire between the valve-cover and the intake, and a ways away from everything else as it comes up to the distributer.

Looked at the engine, looked at the routing, and started re-routing. Took an hour or so to get it all right, double-check it thoroughly, and run the engine to double-check.

Then I pulled my Autolite 5224s, and replaced them with (properly gapped) Champion Truck Plug 4430s (colder heat range).

I checked the gap on the autolites as they came out. 2 were at .030, 1 at .040, and 5 at .045. I put the champions in at .040 (what the sticker says).

Other than momentary swapping the 5 and 7 plug wires, the install went without a hitch.

Engine revs better now, and also "feels" like it has more throttle response, but that may just be my "just did a mod" bias.

Pinging seems down, but still there, still sounding like it's coming through the firewall at the rear-driver's side of the engine.

But I can't feel it, just hear the pinging. Normally when I hear the ping, I can also feel it through the whole truck, as it misses. Actually feels a lot like when I had the plug-wires on the wrong cylinders.

My next few drives to work will prove how well it's been fixed.

Next step, if it doesn't go away (and maybe even if does), is a 180 T-stat. I need to flush out the coolant (it's been 50K), so might as well do that at the same time.

The stock T-stat is a 190 or a 195. Again, for emissions purposes. However, many people I know of are running 180s, and not having any emissions problems, although some have a reported a slight drop in mileage.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I did the 180 stat install, very simple, the only time consuming part was scraping the old gasket off, its in a tough place, Jason has my install pics in the tech section, I was amazed how simple it was. Had I know it was that easy I would have done it 6 mos. ago. The temp is also way down from the factory 195 t-stat.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point, I've decided that I've fixed SOMETHING on sunday, and that SOMETHING is still wrong. Unfortuntely, I'm not sure if it's pinging, or if I'm hearing the cat rattle.

The sound seems like it comes from between my feet, or maybe a bit higher.

Before I could feel the misfires through the truck. Now that's gone, and it feels really smooth, but it still makes a rough, "THACK.. THACK...THACK" sound every now and then as I'm accelerating. Does it light throttle and loaded above 3K rpm, and loaded it does it really rarely, but maybe once at 3K, then a few more times around 4-4.5K, and then that's it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i dont know how a dodge is about knock sensors or if they even have them but i can tell you in a chevy if they go bad they do exactully what your talking about and start to pre deonate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts