Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, real quick question. Has anybody had any problems with their alloy wheels? Specifically the American Eagle 589s. For some reason my lug nuts seem to be magically loosening themselves from the studs. They are tourqed to 115 ft-lbs. last time and after driving about 150 miles they were loose again (luckily I felt the vibration and stopped). A friend of mine had some trouble with his 589s on his Chevy. Does anybody think these could be a manufactures flaw??? Any help apprieciated...

·
Registered
807 Posts
the rims are kinda soft so when you take off the lug nuts and put them nack on again you have to torque them down again after about 50 miles. they should be seated then and shouldnt loosen anymore. thats how mine work.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-12 00:36, Ian_Wallace wrote:
Hey guys, real quick question. Has anybody had any problems with their alloy wheels? Specifically the American Eagle 589s. For some reason my lug nuts seem to be magically loosening themselves from the studs. They are tourqed to 115 ft-lbs. last time and after driving about 150 miles they were loose again (luckily I felt the vibration and stopped). A friend of mine had some trouble with his 589s on his Chevy. Does anybody think these could be a manufactures flaw??? Any help apprieciated...

you also might not have the correct lugs for the rims either. flat bottom lugs, acorns lugs, shaft lugs, etc.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Shawn beat me to it...yeah, make sure you have the correct lug nuts for those specific wheels! They may not be seated correctly. Also, check the mfr torque specs...you may have over-tightened those lug nuts! Keep us updated on what you find out! Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
i had to keep a 4 way in the truck mine came lose all the time . i always thought someone was loseing them up on me .

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
redrider808, did you ever find out why??? Anyway, I took it back in and had them all checked out again. The lug nuts are correct for the wheel. We added anti-seize to the studs and mounted them again, tourqed to 115 ft.-lbs. and they seem to be going fine. I should have my new wheel in tomorrow. When I found the problem it rounded out all the holes very badly (at least it didn't fall off though). Anyway, my friend with the Chevy said the same thing happened with his 15x12s running 40" boggers. He had to torque them down more so they'd stay on. I'll update you more in a couple of days...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
did anyone ever figure out the solution to this problem?
if bought as a package deal shouldn't 4wheel parts or whoever have sent the correct lugs(acorn, flat etc.)
just thought i'd bring an old topic back to life for a little while

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There's your problem! 4WheelParts! hahaha! I actually buy from them, but haven't had a bad experience yet! <knock on wood!> Did they use the factory lugs or aftermarket ones??? There are a couple of factors that may be a problem: do they seat on the wheels correctly? are they deep enough to accomodate the wheel studs? check these things first...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i had a problem with 4wp's stainless steel lug nuts, its a dam cover on a steel lugnut. one hit the ground and dented in, another the cover fell off.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
shawn
i've had that problem too. the casing stripped off and i had to pay someone to chip it off down to the real steel. i'll get my lugs from elsewhere

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was told by a friend a couple of years back when I first bought my American Racing Atlas alum rims. That since they are alum. they will have a tendency to "flex" or "Bend" a little if you are going off road and stuff like that. He suggested that I check them fairly often. I usually hit my lugs with a torque wrench @ 100lbs after each wheeling trip. I have never had any that were loose enough to turn with my fingers but there were a few times after doing some serious wheeling that a couple of lugs were not completely torqued down. Just my two cents. DDGETHS

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I never had problems with either of my wheels. American Racing Baja (from Sears, self installed) and Eagle 589s (from 4WP, self installed)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after the anti-seize and a good torque, I haven't had any problems since then. It still makes me paranoid every once in a while. I torque down to 110 ft-lbs. Everything looks fine...for now.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yeah, that is one of those things to check pretty often, I know all about that wheel-falling-off-and-passing-you-on-the-highway thing, and it is NO fun, especially when you are towing a trailer with a heavy Scout on it...

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only problem I have had with my 589's is that they cracked. Had to have them replaced already. I'll have to keep an eye on the lug thing.

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts