Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to practice today which was about three hours and i left my truck outside here in alabama and its about 70 degrees and when i came back to go home i cranked it up and it was pouring smoke but only for a few seconds and also later on the ride home i noticed a squeaking noise in the engine compartment any ideas what this might mean or be ?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
what kind of truck do u have
and specs

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bad ...its a 98 ram 4x4 5.2litre straight pipes(no muffler)..it came out the tailpipes and it was completely white and thick smoke

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ive seen that when ive cleaned dirty fuel injection on old trucks and cars.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so are you saying that it could be the fuel injectors? ...if so what should i do ...it says in the manual not to use fuel injector cleaner or any fuel addatives ...any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sounds like you're burning coolant...

check the coolant level pronto, and if you are burning coolant, then you're probably blown a head-gasket, and if so, get it fixed FAST. Burn off too much coolant, and you'll overheat.

Wait and it's time for a new engine. Friend of mine had a similar problem with her cavalier.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i also thought i was burning coolant but that wasnt the case...it isnt smoking anymore but id like to know if i have to get the fuel injectors cleaned

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd just keep an eye on it. Some of the intake or fuel-injector cleaner burns with white smoke, which is what I think that was what Rawkon was meaning.

Not that you need to clean them, but when you do clean them you get that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
After running your engine for a little bit check the bottom of your oil fill cap, on the valve cover. If there is a white creamy (it'll look kinda milk like) you've blown a head gasket and are getting antifreeze/coolant in your oil. THAT is BAD... and can lead to vapor lock.

Keep us posted on what symptoms or signs appear.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I bought this little tester thing called an engine block tester. It goes in the radiator filler neck and the chemical reacts to combustion gases. this is the best way to see if youve blown a head gasket or something. you can get it at the local parts store and it costs around $50 i think, or your mechanic may have this. i think the company that makes it is called universal.

combustion gases will be forced into the coolant system if there is a leak, but while the engine is off, the pressure is on the other side... in the cooling system. the coolant will collect in the cylinder(s) and then evaparate or dissapear as the engine warms up.

Another way could be to check your spark plugs. they should all have a pretty even black coat on them, but not too dark. the steam from the coolant will "steam clean" your cylinder (and spark plug). so if any of your plugs are sparkly white, you may want to investigate. Keep us updated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts