Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My dad came home from work in a white ram 1500 4x4 today. You can imagine my first though, huh? Well to my dissapiontment, it was just a customers truck he was working on (he is a mechanic in case you didnt know) and not one that he had bought for me. Oh well, april fools i guess.

The truck was really bad ass though. It was a '99 1500 extended cab short bed. It was white with chrome smittlybuilt neft bars and grill guard w/ two big kc lights on it. It was stock height but running on 33/12.5 bfg all terrains on some really nice looking custom chrome rims.

I talked to my dad about how it drove and everything. He said it didnt ride or handle too bad, except it pulled alittle durring breaking, (he is the one that wont let me lift my truck when i get it because it is hard on the truck and dangerous to drive and so on) but it had no power. It had stock gears, a 360 v8, and 33" tires. He said it was just really slow and had no power at all and he guessed that the transmission would need rebuilding in 6 months time. All just more ammo for him against me getting big tires on my truck. I couldnd believe me ears when he said he was thinking something more like a z71 (no offense chevy guys, i just want a solid axle truck).

Anyway, i guess i was just wondering if it was just that one or do all rams have no power when they have stock gears and 33" tires? If anyone could tell me this i would appreciate it. Of course, it may have had plenty of power and he was just saying that because he doesnt want me to get bigger tires on my truck or he wants me to get a chevy or ford. I dont know. Well, i will apprecaite any inpput.

THanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? Man i think this is the longest its ever taken me to get a reply on this site.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On 2002-04-01 21:35, joe wrote:
Anybody? Man i think this is the longest its ever taken me to get a reply on this site.
There will be alittle change in power with the 33's but not much, I was running 33's on my other Ram with the 360 & 3.55 gears and it ran just fine. I think your old-man just want's you to get a mini van or a station wagon. (HA HA)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Assuming it had 3:55's the 33's would kill the off the line power. That's what I ran before my lift and I noticed a big difference when I pulled out of Discount Tire with the 33's

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah it will kill it. I had 33" thornbirds, and my truck was dead. It would pull itself, but barely. Going up hills, forget it, hold it on the floor and be patient. YOu will wnat lower gears more than you want to eat dinner. Trust me. My truck would barely pull itself w/33s and I now have 38's and 4.56 gears and I can smoke one of em off (no locker).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i did not see much diffrance with the 33's. assuming 33 was as tall as you wanted to go, i would swap in 3.92's, if you want to go higher (35) go to a 4.10. either way, you will have enough power

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went from 245's to 285's with 3.55 gears and a 5.2 engine and I barely noticed any difference. I am still usually the first person off of every stop line. I can get up to 70 on every freeway on ramp, and Idaho is know for it's very short on ramps, and I can roast the rear passenger tire for what seems like forever until the LSD kicks in. But I do have a stick and that makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts