Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if hypertech is going to bring out a power programmer for 1998 and newer Rams? I would like to buy one of these to correct for tires and gearing instead of getting the truespeed. I'm talking about the programmer that looks like a scan tool. It also can adjust alot of other performance parameters. Also, I read that MSD is coming out with a coil that is a direct bolt in replacement for the stock coil. It uses the stock mounting and connectors. Would this work on an otherwise stock truck?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
They will never come out with a Power Programmer for the Dodges...dont ever believe anything they tell you! I was on a backorder for six months 2 years ago and they almost ate my money. As far as the coils goes I mounted my SS coil in the stock location with some custom heat shields and a wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
DO NOT RUN A MSD BLASTER SS COIL WITHOUT AN MSD IGNITION MODULE COMPTUER!!!

And the caps is because this is REALLY important.

The Blaster SS has an input impedance of .355 ohms, which is half the minimum impedance that the stock computer (or mopoar performance computer) can drive.

If you run it for long enough, the PC's output circuits will die. Resulting in needing to buy a new $300-400 computer.

The blaster 2 or blaster 3 coils both have a high enough impedance that they won't cause damage.

This is similar like running too many speakers off an amplifier, eventually, the speakers are pulling so much current through the amplifier that it cooks its internals (literally).

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I have a Jacobs Electronics Performance Ignition on a 4 cyl that I lately own. When I sold this 4x4 I kept the coil and computer. I wanted to install it on my Ram and I didn´t because a friend of mine told me that this coil could burn the OEM computer and he beleives that the power gain wasn´t enough to take that risk. Was he Ok. This coil was installed on a Toyota 3Y engine that I had on a Daihatsu Rocky. (Stock engine)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Don't know the specs on the Jacobs coil. If you're using the jacobs coil with a jacobs ignition module, you should be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts