Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone currently using, or know someone who is using one of these "post-cat O2 sensor simulators". If so, do they work as advertised?

http://www.thefastman.com/thefastman/index.asp?Page=02Simm

Quote from website:
""If you just remove the cat, and possibly the post cat O2 sensor you will get irratic idle, loss of performance, and a never ending MIL light .... We have the answer! The EAS Enterprises Post Cat O2 SIMM ! This device completely fools the PCM, it thinks you have a very efficient CAT installed. Simply replace the post cat O2 sensor with this device. This part also will correct the problem of the Check Engine Light when the stock Cat is replaced with a Highflow Performace Cat."

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hmmmm that device sounds a little risky to me. If you live in a state with emissions and they hook up a scan tool the PCM might still show some history of tampering. I know that PCM's always store DTC's and they do not go away unless they are cleared by a scan tool. I'm a little skeptical if that device works.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
im not sure if its everywhere, but in illinois, the vehicle doesnt have to be tested till its 4 yrs old. so if your doing it to a newer vehicle, you really wouldnt have to worry about it for a few years. is the pcm going to see any tampering with when the vehicle isnt turned on? how does it know your fooling with it if its not on?

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Well a buddy of mine has a Z71 and he cut off his cats and put an O2 sensor in and it worked great. Everything was fine until he was having problems outta his motor and the GM dealer went and done an inspection on his truck and found he didnt have cats. Well they were not gonna buy his truck back because they said the reason it tore up was because he didnt have cats on it. I know thats not true but there black mailing him with reporting him to the EPA cause he doesnt have cats and its illegal here in TN. They wouldnt fix the truck even after the motor blew but other than that, the sensors worked great and he never had a problem with it. Plus it made his truck sound even louder!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here in Oklahoma they have just recently got rid of inspection and I was wondering if fooling the o2 sensor was possible. Do people generally cut out or drill out they're cat? If you do not do some work to the o2 sensor what happens?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, My "O2 SIMM" arrived today and I installed it right away so I could make sure it worked before I did anything to my cat that I couldn't undo.
The SIMM replaces the post-cat O2 sensor, the one that monitors the performance of the converter and so far, the Dodge is running great, idles smooth and no check engine light. I'm gonna leave it on for a few more days before I "gut" the cat and install my Gibson Headers.
It's my understanding that if you just remove or gut the cat, and possibly remove the post-cat O2 sensor, you will get irratic idle, loss of performance, and a never ending Check Engine Light ...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What did you have to do to hook this box up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The following links gives pretty good instructions on how to install.
http://www.thefastman.com/thefastman/index.asp?Page=02SimmInstructions

The SIMM comes with a round connection plug, but it didn't match up with mine. So I cut the plug off the SIMM, and then cut the connector off the post-cat O2 sensor about 6" back (the o2 sensor has about a 12" pigtail which connects to another connector located atop the transmission). I then soldered the O2 connector to the SIMM, water-proof it and just plugged it in. The leads on the SIMM color matched the O2 leads (black to black, grey to grey and white to white). Zip tie the SIMM to the frame and done. It was all straight foward and fairly simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts