Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our hunting trip to south texas this year, our '99 4x4 Durango had a quite noticeable ticking/pinging under hard acceleration on the highway. When we got there, I popped the hood, undid the air filter thing on the TB, and saw oil in the bottom, so I figure the plenum is shot.

I did a search, and after an hour of brain-frying reading, I've got a few questions...

1.) The motor is stock and it's not wheeled as it's my mom's DD. Is the M1 worth it, or should we just go with the upgraded gasket? (Stealership told my dad it was redesigned or something)

2.) How much, and where is the best place to order the M1 from? The most popular seemed to be SouthEastRt. com, but it seems their site isn't up.

3.) How hard is it to install? I haven't done any major motor work on a newer motor, especially a magnum.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i wouldnt bother with the M1, do a search for a hughes plenum kit, thats the route im going to go, it will fix it once and for all, and wont have the 400 price tag..

as far as taking the engine apart plan on it being a most of the day project, you will have to remove anything and everything attached or threw the intake, i havent done it yet, so i cant go into the list, but many have so they will be happy to tell ya, you might even get lucky and one may give you a hand for say a case of brew or somethin..good luck man

·
Registered
896 Posts
i wouldnt bother with the M1, do a search for a hughes plenum kit, thats the route im going to go, it will fix it once and for all, and wont have the 400 price tag..

as far as taking the engine apart plan on it being a most of the day project, you will have to remove anything and everything attached or threw the intake,

:withstupid:

i did my plenum twice before i sucked it up and installed the hughes. just follow the directions, take your time and get a couple of cans of combustion chamber cleaner from the dealer. you shouldnt have to do it again. it's cheaper than the M1 and you wont lose any low end torque

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
As above to take your time, but I did M1. Couldnt be happier! And will never have to worry about a gasket again! Hughes or otherwise, but then again my truck is 10 yrs. old and am keeping it forever.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks guys. Guess I'll order the Hughes kit. I sure like that price tag better than $400 :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-12-13 21:21, tx50cj3a wrote:
Awesome, thanks guys. Guess I'll order the Hughes kit. I sure like that price tag better than $400 :eyecrazy:

The hughes kit will be your best route. Bring the durango up one weekend and we can knock it out. I have done it a few times now. I would also suggerst going to car quest for the intake manifold gasket set because they are just like the mopar ones but a lot cheaper. Also pick up some stuff to go ahead and do a tune up if you havent recently. Borg warner cap and rotor from oreilly's will be the best thing. You will need to go to the dealership and get new bolts that hold the manifold down. There are 12 and they are a whole 70 cents a piece. Go ahead and pick up a can of mopar combustion chamber cleaner too. It is $7 and will help clean everything out when you get done. You will need to make sure and have some radiator fluid and it is also a good idea to change your oil when you get done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts