Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get my lift, I have to remove my pitman arm from the gearbox to replace it...I've tried that for other reasons all ready, and it wasn't happening...any tricks or suggestions out there? I could really use some help...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had to heat mine up with a large rosebud tip and hook the puller on it and just start tapping all around it with the hammer while I was heating it. It will come off with some time, it's just a PITA

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Penatrating oil, pitman arm puller, and a hammer.

I will ussually get the pitman arm puller on the very first thing when starting. randomly spraying it and smacking it with the hammer. some of them have popped off wiht no problem, others gave me the urge to set the truck on fire, but all of'em will come off eventually.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
On 2005-12-11 22:52, juiceyou321 wrote:
I had to heat mine up with a large rosebud tip and hook the puller on it and just start tapping all around it with the hammer while I was heating it. It will come off with some time, it's just a PITA

If you use heat, try not to get your gear box too hot.

I have used heat on them but only as a last resort.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Penatrating oil, pitman arm puller, and a hammer.

I will ussually get the pitman arm puller on the very first thing when starting. randomly spraying it and smacking it with the hammer. some of them have popped off wiht no problem, others gave me the urge to set the truck on fire, but all of'em will come off eventually.

:withstupid:

i'll tighten the puller, tap on the pitman. tighten the puller, tap on the pitman. etc, etc. till it pops off

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine actually came right off-the frame was in the way to mount the puller on though. I unbolted the power steering box and put the puller on, then just kept cranking on the puller till it popped off. Still working on that steering arm though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts