Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new set of tires installed on my 98 Quad Cab 1500 2WD, so I followed that up with a FE Alignment.

I took it to a shop that I trust and have had quality work done on several vehicles.

On the "test drive", the mechanic noticed some dead play in the steering - when he showed me what he was talking about, I realized he was right - it was less responsive.

So they installed a new Pitman arm and I have to agree - it is better.

My question: my truck has just over 44,000 miles and I'm the original owner - so I know the history - it has never been abused.

I asked the mechanic why it would go bad, and he said usually because of lack of keeping it lubricated - although he added - he could tell mined had been well lubed, so

What gives ???

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Isn't there an adjustment screw that sets the play in the steering box? That may need to be adjusted.

Also, just a pitman arm fixed some of the slack? Sounds odd to me. Perhaps the draglink or tie-rod needs new ends.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
anything odd in teh front-end could be a bad track-bar. It's amazing how critical they are.

Mine (second one) is going, and the truck does some FUNKY things from time to time...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Its a 2WD, so no track bar. I guess I'll move this to the new 2WD forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts