Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am close to ordering a set of Parnelli Jones, Dirt Grip radials 36 x 14.5 x 15 or 36 x 14.5 x 16. my question - if i mount these on 10-inch wheels (i don’t think i can put these on my 8-inch wheels) what type of backspacing do i need to have in order to keep from rubbing my control arms or anywhere else. I am running a 3-inch body and a 3-inch suspension lift. these tires are 36.125 inches tall and have a tread width of 12.250. also, is there anyone out there who has had a problem with the way these tires ride on the highway?

95 RAM, 1500 SLT 4X4. 5.9L Motor. 3 inch body and 3 inch suspension lift. Running on 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG ATs with 4:56 Gears.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
for me to run 36x14.5 swampers with my 5" skyjacker, i needed 3.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i would even look into a 12 inch wide wheel for those tires. and from what i hear they ride real well on the street, quieter than most offroad tires.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fed-Ex just dropped of my 36 x 14.5 x 16 Parnelli Jones, Dirt Grips - thay are bad a**. what a great looking tire. i have a local shop that is going to mount one on a display wheel with 3 5/8s backspacing and another on one with 4 5/8s. i am going to mount them both on my rig to see which one works the best. i highly recommend doing this if you are struggling with backspacing questions. at first, the shop did not want to do this for me – but i was persistent. these tires are not great mud performers but offer super trail and on-road performance (from what i have read). again, these tires look grrrreeeeat. i will post some pics once i have them mounted.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was going to get a set of the Dirt Grips but I could not find a local dealer. I wanted to get them from a local spot or a chain so I could get warranty if needed. Since I couldnt get a local place I am getting a set of TSL radials instead.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I just read in petersons 4wheel last night about the Dirt Grips and they had nothing bad to say about them at all. they said they performed pretty good in the mud.
they had a open air jeep (no top or doors)
and they said they where hit with gobs of mud the whole time, which they said it means the tires are cleaning themselves

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yep theres nothing worse than riding in with 35in All-terrians and coming out with 40in no- terrians. Self cleaning is a very important issue unless you have hip-waders and a winch.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
yeah i would run a 12 wide wheel witht hat tire also... they might be too wide for a 10..thats why im running my 36x14.50x16.5 on 12 wide wheels

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been considering buying some pj's but I didn't want to run anything more than a 10inch wide wheel, so let me know which wheel u have the best luck with

·
Registered
52 Posts
the common rule for wheels is to get them two inches narrower than the tires that you are going/wanting to run. as for offset all i did is say that i had a dodge ram and they (4wheel parts) just sent the 16x10 inch wheels mounted on 38's and the offset was perfect. i don't rub at all.

Hag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts