oxygen sensor bypass

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by fireman649, Aug 29, 2004.

1. fireman649

fireman649 New Member

I was told that there is a bypass? for the O2 sensor if you don't have a cat on the truck anymore. So it will trick te computer into thinking that there is a cat installed. Has anyone heard of this an dknow where I can buy one. Also, does it work good?

I have a 1994 k1500 with 350ci

Thanks

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Well-Known Member

Search for O2 simulators on jegs or summit you will find them. :bigthumb:

I've never used em but have heard about them.

3. Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin New Member

i got one on my truck and paid $20 i think for it. I got it off of dodgetrucks.org and they had a group buy on it. works real good.

Jeff powell likes this.
  4. BigWillieStyle_21

BigWillieStyle_21 New Member

I have a 1990 model, havent had a cat. for almsot 5 yrs. now, there was no drop in any power on my truck only improvements.... I think the O2 thing is a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer..

on a TBI Chevy motor, the major sensors are the IAC, Temp. Sensor and TPS... the O2 rerally doesn't do anything, I have seen so many either removed compltely or disconected it isn't even funny..

If your worried I say BUY the TRICK thing, btu don't install it unless somethign si going funky..

BIG

:bigthumb:

Edit

BTW: look for the Casper Electronics version, i know it is one of the Best that all the CAMARO guys swear buy... I just don't think ti is worth it PERSONALLY..

GOOD LUCK

5. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 New Member

your o2 sensor is before the convertor, you will be fine don't waste your money

6. fireman649

fireman649 New Member

Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to reply, I just got back to the house from hurricane Frances. I worked 5 straight days at the fire dept. The hurricane hit the county i live in dead on.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought 4 of them... @ 54.99 each!!!!

still have the check engine light on!!!

8. Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin New Member

fireman you live in martin county? i grew up there. The only reason people put 02 simms on there trucks is because if they throw a code. Like dodge rams like to throw codes when yo remove the cat and you put this one on the back 02 sensor and it fixes teh check engine light

9. Tim

Tim New Member

Maybe you should have diagnosed the problem first then. Reading codes doesn't diagnoses problems.

A vacuum leak could give you a lean exhaust code.

10. getndirty

getndirty New Member

If you have O2 sensors aft of the converters and remove the converters it WILL throw a code and WILL adjust the fuel air mixture. I have a 96 Z71 and had removed the converters it did throw a code but in addition to throwing a code it also screwed up my fuel economy. Once I removed my converts my truck began to get terrrible gas milage 10mpgcity/12mpghwy. I installed two simulators from SUMMIT ($88.00pair) and now I get 14mpg/19mpg. It makes a differance if the O2 sensors are in the rear of the converts!

Jeff powell likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim New Member

A 94 K1500 would not have any after cat O2 sensors.

12. getndirty

getndirty New Member

Yes, I beleive the aft O2 sensors on chevys began in 96

13. Jeff powell

Jeff powell New Member

So can I bypass the O2 sensors or not on my 89 Chevy K 1500 with no catalytic converter