Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, other than appearance, what do tips add to your exhaust system? Specifically, if I were to add chambered tips or a resonant tube style tip, would it sound louder? My exhaust is stock, and after my safari bar and lights package, I cant spend on a new beefier sounding exhaust system for awhile.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
adding a tip will not make the exhaust sound any different unless you replace the muffler with an aftermarket unit, such as the all time favorite: FLOWMASTER...

if money is an issue, go to your local muffler shop! they can fab up a cat-back exhaust system which will include all the tubing, hangers, muffler, dual or single tips, installed for $200-$250!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
yah...just for looks! just like the daystar spacers! :lol: j/k...inside joke! :D:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k guys, thanks. I figured it was just an appearance thing, but some of the tips i saw had the word resonance in it, giving the impression that it would somehow amplify the sound of your exhaust. guess it was just a selling point for rubes such as myself :lol:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...no, your right, the resonant tips will make the exhaust sound different, but only if used with a free-flowing aftermarket muffler...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Some tips do make your exhaust quieter. Which most people dont want. Wickedakota has true dual exhaust on his dakota(318) and he had a howler on both pipes. They have two metal discs in them that have holes in. We were trying to turn the metal discs one day and wicked broke one the discs, so it just rattled when the truck was running. We took the howlers off and it was alot louder. Sounded awesome. At that time he had the exhaust run over the frame and out infront of the back tires. Now we redid the exhaust and now it runs out behind the mud flaps at an angle and put some chrome tips without nothing in them and running it right out the back made it even louder yet. The only thing with chrome tips is that you have to keep them polished at least once a month so they dont rust. So if you do buy tips or get an exhaust system made up, try to get stainless steal tips instead of chrome because those wont rust. Just my $.02 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
well i hate to say this,but stainless tips will rust,it just takes a lot longer.the reason is there not 100% stainless.same with mufflers that are stainless.i guess the companys are trying to keep the cost down.i did find a few tips from ,i believe ,GM,that are cast aluminum,but i didnt look at how they are attached to the pipe,and there not brite pollished and not round,so they wont be for everybody.... :(: :eyecrazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts