Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you seen an older ramsey wormdrive? i ran across a huge wreck mover mounted to a trailer and i can't find any numbers on it, just ramsey embossed on the side of the drum housing. ramsey says they'll need a bunch of pictures of it, or i can drag it down to oklahoma and have them look at it, for identification. this thing has a monstrous gearbox, 1/2 inch cable, and the main motor looks like a starter motor for a ford 5.0. of course the guy has no control pack and the batteries on the trailer were dead. i went to ramseys website to look for anything similar and the re12000 looks close, but the motor on this thing is twice as big. i have been contemplating this thing for bit and the guy is anxious to sell it, i just don't know if i want to give 300 dollars for a questionable winch that i don't really know will pull my truck out. let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
How much would the wire rope be worth, if it turned out to be a junk winch? Can you hook it up to a battery and see if it will work?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Are you sure this winch is not PTO driven, if that is the case you wont be hooking it up to a rams tranny. look for a shaft on the backside or bottom(like a small driveshaft).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm sure its not a pto, it has two batteries wired to it now. if you check out ramsey and look at the re12000, that's the closest there is to it. as for the cable, its only about 35 feet of low quality stuff. ramseys tech people say they never put anything bigger than 7/16 aircraft grade on non industrial units. this doesn't look like the original cable, but it fits the bung on the drum. i'm going to see if the batteries on the trailer will take a charge, and then hot wire it. if it moves at all, ill probably bring it home.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cancel that. power in and power out only. no drum brake and no clutch release. motor seems worn out. not worth the money.
anybody got a winch they want to part with? looking for 10k or bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts