Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got and installed my 2" Dynastar leveling kit (mental note: rent the spring compressors from AutoZone before starting this kit!), installed my Pioneer head unit and Kicker door speakers, bought a RockFos sub and amp, am waiting on my "hotbox" to put the sub in, bought a used set of nerf steps from one of you guys, and the Hypertech Programmer from another. I already had a K&N element. I (based on you guys telling me they'll fit) just ordered some BFG AT's in 315/70R17 mounted on a new set of 17x9 Helo Maxx 8's in black (see below) that should be here next week. What else do I need to do or should do? I sure hope the 35" tires don't kill my performance or milage... :bad:

[img=300x307]http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels/images/blackmaxx8lg.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
what ratio gears are you running?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Pick up a set of headers ($220) and a Magnaflow High-flo stainless stell cat system ($150). That will give you some extra go, a little more MPG, and will sound nice.
Can you list some specifics about your truck. model/engine/tranny/etc.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It should look sweet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you list some specifics about your truck. model/engine/tranny/etc.

Yeah, I already posted the specs but will always take advantage of another chance to brag! It's a 2001 2500 4x4 with the 5.9L V8, D60's front & rear with 4.10's. Extended cab with the 6.5' bed. Plain Jane white with a set of Steel Horse steps, drop in bed liner, cloth interior and 77,000 miles on the odometer. I "stole" it for $8800. It currently has the steel 16" stock wheels with the chrome outer rings, but is missing the center caps. It came with 265R75/16 BFG AT's.

Here's a (before) pic...
[img=500x375]http://www.frontier.net/~yzergod/A%20new%20Dodge/Copy%20of%20DSC01950.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You will love those 315s, but go get some 4.88 gears while you at at it.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try it out for awhile and see how you like it. You might be suprised. Are you going to do any towing?
I have the 360, 3.55's and run 315's and is not bad on the freeway or going up to Tahoe. I do tow every now and again so I'm kickn' around the idea of getting 4.10's or 4.56's.

·
Registered
683 Posts
i ran 3.55's on 315's for a while and to be honest couldnt tell. you will be fine. just try it out before you drop a ton on gears.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well I ran LT315s on my truck for about a year with the stock 4.10 gears. At that time, my truck only had 32-35,000 miles on it. City driving was bad and highway driving was ok, but not at all better.

Get some gears.........

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
:withstupid: Will make life easier for your tranny.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got my wheels/tires put on this afternoon! Place I ordered them from (onlinetires.com) gave me a great deal. However, when I tried to put them on last sunday, the stock lug nuts were too large and didn't fit in to the recessed holes on the new wheels. They're like 24mm. So I ordered a set of locking lug nuts from Summit and got them yesterday. I had only opened one wheel on Sunday and realized today that 2 of the wheels didn't come with a center cap. I decided to mount the caps on the front and had both of the rears mounted when the FedEx guy pulls up with a small box of , yep, you guessed it, two more center caps and 32 lug nuts. I'm not bugged about the lug nuts though as they sent 1/2" and the truck is actually 9/16", so I wouldn't have been able to use them today anyway. LMK what you think of the rims!!!

[img=500x375]http://www.frontier.net/~yzergod/A%20new%20Dodge/Copy%20of%20DSC01981.jpg[/img]

[img=500x375]http://www.frontier.net/~yzergod/A%20new%20Dodge/Copy%20of%20DSC01985.jpg[/img]

Before; stock height on 265/70R16's...
[img=500x375]http://www.frontier.net/~yzergod/A%20new%20Dodge/Copy%20of%20DSC01950.jpg[/img]

After; 2" leveling kit in front on 315/75R17's...
[img=500x375]http://www.frontier.net/~yzergod/A%20new%20Dodge/Copy%20of%20DSC01984.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks good... my truck has 35's on it right now and still factory 3.73 dont do much towing except for a 19ft boat and the occasional trailor with two quads.. i drive from VA to DE a lot and never had problems i dont think u need to get 4.88's right away try it out with 4.10's for now

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh and don t get the magnaflows... imo thye dont sound even as good as flowmasters and i dont even like flowmasters cuz everyone else has em... spend a lil extra $$ and get the eddlebrock mufflers... u shouldnt have to replace them for a long time they are made with a coating on them that tightens when it heats up so it doesnt turn color or anything like that tested to like 1800 degrees... or u could splurge and get them in stainless either is a good choice

·
Registered
497 Posts
Looks awesome! :bigthumb: The black wheels set it off really well as far as stock gearing with 35s you will do just fine, you might see it downshift a little more when pulling a load or going up a steep hill, at least that is what mine did. You will get good mileage as long as your driving habits arent one of a nascar driver! :rotfl:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same size AT tires on my truck with 4.10 gearing. You will be fine. No worries.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On 2005-12-16 03:30, RS_SS69 wrote:
Looks awesome! :bigthumb:
...you might see it downshift a little more when pulling a load or going up a steep hill

Thanks! It's a 5-speed, so I don't have to worry about it shifting like that.

I did get a Hypertech Programmer from somebody on this board and programmed it after I installed the tires/wheels. It runs better now with the 35's than it did with the 31's!

·
Registered
612 Posts
On 2005-12-16 02:37, 97z71Rebel wrote:
oh and don t get the magnaflows... imo thye dont sound even as good as flowmasters and i dont even like flowmasters cuz everyone else has em... spend a lil extra $$ and get the eddlebrock mufflers... u shouldnt have to replace them for a long time they are made with a coating on them that tightens when it heats up so it doesnt turn color or anything like that tested to like 1800 degrees... or u could splurge and get them in stainless either is a good choice

nobody said anything about the magnaflow mufflers, they said to get the magnaflow hiflow cat set up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts