Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys, this has been covered a few times, and everyone seemed to be in the dark,i just got home from the dealer(gelnburnie MD) "trying" to get them to replace the rotting doors..no luck!

what you need to do is go to the dealer and give them your vin number, they will perform what they call a function 14 to look up what the body warrenty was on your vehicle when it was sold,mine was 60months/100k, so im too far on time(1998 ram) even though my truck has a whoping total of 39,321 miles on it, so im screwed..however

for you guys that are within the warrenty period that you truck was given they WILL fix it, the guy there at the body shop said they have done some 2001 models but sorry my warranty has expired, i already knew this before i went to the body shop part to see what they said, as i had stopped at the service section and MADE them show me on the computer(i wasnt about to take their word for it)..

so i wish you guys the best of luck, hopefully they will cover your doors , and if any of you can get them to let you keep your old drivers door that has only a little rust..toss it my way will ya. good luck guys!!

as for my truck i guess im gonna dismantle it and sand what ever i can, seal it and then line x the whole bottom like Ramsport59 has on his..

im still thinking of trying another dealer to see what they say, so if i do, ill post up what they come back with..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
ya good luck with any dealership.mine was out by less than a month and no dealership wanted to touch it.but of corse they all called me back saying they they could get me a good deal at the bodyshop. :roll: i think they all were double dippin.(charging me and chrysler). so i just por'ed them

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
check out here http://www.browns-of-tworivers.com/330.htm (#12) the cheaper anwser to our rust problems. just weld these in and add a few extra drain holes and seal the clean metal with line-x or similar to keep the out moisture good luck.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
my truck was well within the time and mileage on the warranty and they didnt want to cover it.

if it wasnt for the fact my wife had a family member that worked for DC and was friends with the District Manager who had already told me i was {expletive}outta luck, i would of been replacing them myself.

needless to say that 1.5 yrs later and the drivers door is rusty again.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Surprisingly my early '98 doesn't have any door rot issues (even in the road salt capital of the world, Michigan). Just a word of advice though guys, is to spray out the door bottoms when you wash your trucks, and some undercoat or any protective layer definitely helps. Mine had just a touch (about the size of a pencil eraser) barely starting to rust along the door seam, so I cleaned it up, hit it with touch up paint, and put a layer of undercoat on it. Might wanna give it a try. I've seen Dodge trucks as new as 2yrs old with rotted out doors and tailgates. :cuss:

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
On 2005-12-13 10:22, chuckhines wrote:

Surprisingly my early '98 doesn't have any door rot issues (even in the road salt capital of the world, Michigan). Just a word of advice though guys, is to spray out the door bottoms when you wash your trucks, and some undercoat or any protective layer definitely helps.

:withstupid: I have a 99 and I also live on salt infested roads with no problems but I always make sure to clean under the door and do the door hinges like Chuck said...

Must be a certain batch of Dodge's because I think I remember someone from Texas that had his doors rust out and it was just a DD and not near the shore... ???

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could very well be your area too, i have pulled up in gas stations and royal farm stores from pasadena Md to baltimore Md, and seen ppl with dodges, i asked them if their doors were rusting .. they promptly said NO , Not my truck , i open their doors and showed them and asked then whats that? they were like what the hell!, there was only one of about 30 i looked at that i didnt see rust on :(: ,Im not real sure about the life of my truck as i bought it about 1 1/2-2yrs ago with 25,500 on it, it belonged to one owner(old man) that traded it in on a new GMC at at GMC and hummer dealer, the dealer said they would have sent it to auction, but the truck was soo clean they figured they would try it on their lot 1st, they were right, they wanted 15,200 for it, i gave them 13,900, needless to say my buddy who drove me there was kinda pissed since he had just bought a 99 with 60K on it and paid 14,999, he hates when i do that..lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah and my buddys 99 ram, both doors rusting, and the Rear bumper is rusting from the inside out..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2005-12-13 10:07, cummins freak wrote:
check out here http://www.browns-of-tworivers.com/330.htm (#12) the cheaper anwser to our rust problems. just weld these in and add a few extra drain holes and seal the clean metal with line-x or similar to keep the out moisture good luck.

thanks for the link, i added it to the favorites :):

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
my doors were completely shot on my 95 and it had 91,000 when i bought it, they were rusted almost 8 inches up the door and underneath and the inside, there was no bottom left on the door.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 99 had quite a bit of rust on the inside of the drivers door in the fold of the door skin. I ground all of it out and POR'd it this last spring and that seems to have stopped it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i dont give 2 {expletive}s if the doors get rusty, im busy tying to keep the thing running good to bother about the body. mines not bad but its getting some spots

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mine runs fairly good besides the pop corn machine that seems to start popping when i am going up hills or accerate above 2k rpm..hughes kit will be ordered this week, maybe tomorrow!..along with gears front and rear,if i can swing it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
This is all very weird, my family, myself included have probably had oh say 10-15 of these (94-01) trucks now and not a single one has rust or had rust when it got sold.......strange.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, thats a whole lot of trucks to not have this problem, it gotta be something like where they were made or the useage or somethin.

heres some info about mine..

is parked all week only driven seldom when i get home

i live in wooded area(lots of leaves and other crap i find in the trucks little knooks and crannies)

the sun doesnt hit my truck while at the house, as the trees block so much , that even with the snow last week i still have ice everywhere

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
On 2005-12-13 15:41, mudpuppy wrote:
mine are rusted bad I sanded them painted them and even used herculiner and the rust is eating through that :wall:

try por 15 if your going that route it bonds to rust better

·
Registered
413 Posts
my 95 had some good rot on the drivers door only, so i sanded it down really good, bare metal. i got some anit-rust shiat from auto-zone and sprayed that on, then i grabbed good ol kitty hair and went crazy with that. i didnt want to paint it so i herculined the whole bottom of my truck. it looks great, is functional, and you cant even tell that the door has ever had work done to it!! it looks mint.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
my 98 was rusting, but my 02 2500 is fine so far, if this one starts to rust i will fix it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts