Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would ya'll recommend I run for Oil? I can get Amsoil and Rotella from my local Fleet Farm. Which should I run? I am currently running the full sythetic by Amsoil line that Fleet Farm handles. Should I just run the multigrade Rotella T w/ Adv. soot control? Just curious what ya'll think.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
On 2005-12-12 19:26, Alphacowboy-SmurfStyle wrote:
what would ya'll recommend I run for Oil? I can get Amsoil and Rotella from my local Fleet Farm. Which should I run? I am currently running the full sythetic by Amsoil line that Fleet Farm handles. Should I just run the multigrade Rotella T w/ Adv. soot control? Just curious what ya'll think.

I only have two thoughts:

I ran Rotella in my 99 for over 200k with no problems...truck ran like new when I traded it. My dad runs Rotella in his truck and currently has over 225k with no problems. I am running Rotella in the 04.5 . All of these are 5k (or slightly longer) oil changes.

I had a conversation with a local part's house owner when I bought my synthetics to change my diffs/tranny/tcase...he stated that you will see a shortage or complete lack of ANY synthetic (including Amsoil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Redline, and Valvoline to name a few) in the US because the only synthetic oil manufacturer (Mobile) was destroyed by Katrina. He stated that all the synthetic oils acquired their base stock from Mobil. He was concerned that he didn't have enough stockpiled to last more than a few months at best.

Just some things to consider.

steved

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
On 2005-12-13 06:32, Alphacowboy-SmurfStyle wrote:
thanks steve, which Rotella do you run?

Just plain old Rotella 15W40 dino summer and winter...I see they came out with 5W40 synthetic that is rated for our trucks now too...but I'm sticking with what I know...

steved

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
In a cold climate where the truck will suffer several cold starts a day (meaning that it is a daily driver) the truck will prefer a 5w40 over a 15w40.

However the Amsoil and Rotella are not of the same grade of synthetics. If you are running Amsoil I would probably stick with it, unless it gets really cold where you are at in MN.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2005-12-13 17:13, FireRescue wrote:
In a cold climate where the truck will suffer several cold starts a day (meaning that it is a daily driver) the truck will prefer a 5w40 over a 15w40.

However the Amsoil and Rotella are not of the same grade of synthetics. If you are running Amsoil I would probably stick with it, unless it gets really cold where you are at in MN.

I plug the truck in every night, so it stays warm for starts. coldest it gets here in the winter is usually around 10*F it does on occasion get to -20, but that is rare. I like the Amsoil, but hate the price tag on it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you could fing a 5w40 Group III synthetic, like the Rotella Synthetic, at a reasonable price, $3.00 - $3.50 per quart, I think that would suit your needs perfectly. JMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts