Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when my truck, '99 1500 4x4, is cold the oil pressure at idle and cruising speed (70 MPH)is in the normal ranges. Lately though when the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature the oil pressure at idle is right below 40 and at 70 MPH is just barely above 40. Anyone know what's going on. I change the oil regularly and don't notice the oil to be any more dirty or burnt than when the truck was new (now has 57K miles). Why would this only happen when the engine reaches operating temperature. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
it could possibly be that your oil is running really hot and breaking down. in that case you will need an oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Same problem i had. replace sending unit......WARNING.....It is a B!tch to get to. mine would fluctuate and sometimes at idle go to 0 psi I replaced once with a kragen after market and prob came back 6 months later. Just replaced with a dodge part suggested from an ex dodge dealer tech. hopefully this will last more than 6 months.
Oh by the way it is located right next to the distrubiter....the spot between the egr and dist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it was an internal problem, I'd expect it to have low pressure at idle and rise up with increasing rpms. Yours reads steady, almost independent of rpms. I've never seen an oil pressure sending unit do exactly what you describe but it's my first suspect here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts