Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a problem with the Dodge race truck we are building. It leaks oil AFTER it runs for a little while. We saw oil dripping from the bell housing so thought it might be a rear main seal. But once we cleaned of the bellhousing and flywheel we discovered the oil was seaping down the block from above. So now I'm thinking it can really only be a head gasket, valve cover, or PCV system. Remember that it doesn't leak under pressure (when the engine is running). I know I'm probably missing something but we can't figure out what it is. Its only on one side of the block which has one freeze plug halfway up, and then the head and valve cover.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did you have the block magnafluxed for cracks? If you did or if you didn't I'd buy a leak/crack detection kit from your local parts house and check the rear of the block (the whole thing) for cracks. I've seem cracks thinner than a human hair cause all sorts of problems (vacuum, oil, fuel leaks... etc..).

-Chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did not magnaflux the block, but I think we found the problem, seems the fuel pump gasket is bad. The fuel pump goes right through the head on that side of the block.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The fuel pump? That should me on the passangerside front of the block correct? If its dripping/seaping down from the top of the block check the rear of the intake manifold and the distributor. They're both known to leak at the most inconvientent times :):

-Chris

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pump is on the drivers side of the block.
I'll try and get a pic or a diagram of it to show where the pump is located. Remember that this a 2.6 I-4 mitsubishi engine in a dodge ram 50.

·
Registered
464 Posts
demoman, take some gunk foamy engine brite and spray the s*** outta it (cover the distributor and carb with plastic bags. Let it soak for 10 minutes than repeat. Rinse her off and she should tell ya where she's leakin from.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
theres also that dye stuff you can put in the oil and use a black light or something to look for the leaks. i havent used it, and also dont know how well it works. i just remember hearing a little bit about it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we might have to try some of that, race season starts in May!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts