Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have prettymuch resolved myself to the fact that my dad will only let me lift my truck (mid ninties ram 1500 4x4)3" and he wont let me get tires anybigger than about 33"(no 35's :x: ). So im going to lift it with a 3" suspention lift and put on it 33"/12.5" all terrains(i can't get mud terrains either cuz they handle badly, wear quicky, blah, blah, blah)on 15"/10" wheels. I'm going to do it even if i cant go as big as i want to because i love the look of a lifted truck and i think my offroading abilities are bound to improve some.

So i guess my question to yall now is how will my offroading abilities going to be with 33" all terrains? Will i be able to do any serious offroading in it?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i have 33" AT's and the only thing i havent been able to make it through is really deep mud. bfg AT's SUCK in mud. get procomp AT's. much better. 33's are a good size tire, you will have plenty of fun with them.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I had 33"s for a long time... Went where alot of people didnt think I could... It is partially the meats... but also the lack of common sense that got me through most of it.... I have used Firestone (not the bad ones ) on/off road 23 degree mud tread radials. They are $180 appiece and I loved them. Hell 2 of them are on my pickup bed trailer and 2 are being used as spares for the trailer. (trailer even has a 14bolt ff w/3.73's... hee hee....
oh well if you cant go up... then put a killer motor in and hover over the stuff.....
peace

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i think your gonna be suprised with what you can do with 33's. i have sport kings and i couldnt believe some of the stuff i made it through. dont worry you wont be left on the porch

·
Registered
362 Posts
There aint a thing wrong with 33's. I've had my 285/75/16's (33x11.50's)for a while now and have never had a complaint. If all you can do is 33's for now but plan on bigger later just get a body lift for now that way when you do go bigger you wont be throwing away or trying to sell a smaller suspension lift. At least with a 3in body thats all you can get in a bodylift and it never wears out, but later you could ad the skyjacker 7 in and 38's later with 4.56 gears, a supercharger, hemi...... the posibilites are endless. I feel like a mad man creating a monster (truck), the possibilities are endless. Hope this helps (inspire) you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There aint a thing wrong with 33's. I've had my 285/75/16's (33x11.50's)for a while now and have never had a complaint. If all you can do is 33's for now but plan on bigger later just get a body lift for now that way when you do go bigger you wont be throwing away or trying to sell a smaller suspension lift. At least with a 3in body thats all you can get in a bodylift and it never wears out, but later you could ad the skyjacker 7 in and 38's later with 4.56 gears, a supercharger, hemi...... the posibilites are endless. I feel like a mad man creating a monster (truck), the possibilities are endless. Hope this helps (inspire) you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've got the BFG 35X12.50X15 All Terrains, and while I can admit they don't clean extremely well once you get out of the mud and stuff, they do work great in mud. I hit a whole (there is a topic I posted about it) that swallowed my 35's whole and came about 1/2 up my doors and I never had a problem gettin out of it.

-Chris

·
Registered
896 Posts
A 33" is still a pretty good sized tire. As long as you don't plan on serious mud bogging, you'll be okay. I would do more research on mud tires if I were you. They really aren't as bad as you say they are. BFG Muds commonly last 40-50k, and aren't very noisy.

You could also go with an agressive all terrain, such as a Super Swamper Truxxus.

Take a look at Coopers. I have Coopers on my Jeep, and I love them. Look at the Discoverer S/T. It's more agressive than the Disco A/T, but not quite as gnarly as the Cooper STT (the M/T). My S/T's are very quite, ride and handle great, and make BFG A/T's look wimpy. I also have over 10k on them, and they still look brand new.

I would go with a 15x8 wheel, if I were you. The 15x10's will be too wide and stick out too far. It looks dumb, throws up mud and rocks all over the side of your truck, and will put extra stress on your wheel bearings.

Oh, one more thing: It's driving ability that counts more than anything else. You can have all the suspension lift and big tires you want, but if you can't drive worth squat, you aren't going anywhere. You'd be surprised what a stocker can do, in the right hands. Maybe you should just work with what you have for a while, untill you become a good driver. Then start modding, because you'll be able to use and appreciate the extra capability.

245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
33s are a great size tire for a daily driver. I would rather go with mud terrains. My Mud Kings have already lasted longer then my BFG all terrain K/O and still have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mount them on 8 inch rims. You'll get a bit more height out of them, and you'll have ZERO clearance issues while flexing out off-road. You can run lower pressures in them off-road also.

Sniper

On 2002-02-08 22:56, joe wrote:
So i have prettymuch resolved myself to the fact that my dad will only let me lift my truck (mid ninties ram 1500 4x4)3" and he wont let me get tires anybigger than about 33"(no 35's :x: ). So im going to lift it with a 3" suspention lift and put on it 33"/12.5" all terrains(i can't get mud terrains either cuz they handle badly, wear quicky, blah, blah, blah)on 15"/10" wheels. I'm going to do it even if i cant go as big as i want to because i love the look of a lifted truck and i think my offroading abilities are bound to improve some.

So i guess my question to yall now is how will my offroading abilities going to be with 33" all terrains? Will i be able to do any serious offroading in it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts