Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, For all you out there who have the lovely luxury of off-road lights for night wheelin', I have a question!!! :):
(or anyone who might know too!! LOL)

A Dodge 360 has a beefy Alternator, right?!

How do you find out the output of your stock alternator?!

Also, How many off-road lights and what wattage can you hook up before it's too much for the Alternator to feed the battery? Or the engine for that matter?!

Could you say, run 2 150 watt KC Race style lights and 2 more 100 watt regular KC's?

I know amperage has alot to do with it, but how are your guys set up?!

Any and all help is appreciated. I would like to do this research before going and buying my lights and mounting a Pre-Runner front bumper.

Thanks!
LUV24BY

P.S. If you have pictures of your set up (off-road lights)I would like to see that too if ya can UpLoad 'em! :):

35x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's on Centerline 15x10's

·
Registered
502 Posts
Stock is 117 amp. IF you have the HD package then it is 136 amp.
I think you can get even higher output if you wanted.

Jet Stage II chip
Custom FlowMaster Exhaust
Mopar Performance Roller Rockers
TransGo Shift kit w/ Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Monster Stereo System

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
an aftermarket 200amp will run you like $500

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you buy a new super duty 250/350 you can order the truck for an extra 350 bucks and it comes with 2 alternators. pretty sweet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i got a 01 offroad with the tow package and im running 4 8 inch procomps at 130 watts.up top and 4 6x9 procomp at 100 watts on the push bar and have no prob. with it amps dont move.

·
Registered
275 Posts

heres a pic

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems like a real tight set-up!!! Nice ride! Wat I had in mind was a Pre-Runner with 2 150 watt KC Race series 6" round on the very top bar of the Pre Runner while having 2 100 watt KC's mounted to the left and right, pointed slightly off center to provide side lighting. I have a tow package on my Sport so I hope I have the heavy duty alternator. I guess it's time to decode the VIN! :):
LUV24BY

·
Registered
502 Posts
where are you guys mounting the switches at for these lights? I was looking to add some lights but I could not find a good place for the switches.

thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
thats the coolest thing about my install there remote controled the switches are made by pilot can get them from auto zone .

·
Registered
275 Posts
bill if you got the offroad with the overhead w/o the compass the part at the very front by the windshild will come off.
im thinking that that will be a gr8 spot for switches.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
redrider,

That's a LOT of current... 100+ amps...

What guage wire did you use? I'll bet you're getting some voltage drop through the wiring, and not getting full wattage out of those lights...

But if you're not, then Dodge must make some heavily under-rated alternators!!

All the better!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i have seen the alternator amperage somewhere, check on the alternator itself or on the sticker under the hood, near the latch, i cant remember where it was.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i got it wired with what some people wire amps im running 8 gauge to the rear and 10 gauge to the front

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I run 4 Daylighters (150watt) on top of my truck, and I plan on about 8 or so undercarriage lights, 55watts for lighting my way on the ground at night. I mounted my toggle switch on the overhead console where the garage door opener would normally go, but since I will always be too tall to use a garage, why not use it for something else right? I also mounted an idiot led with the switch, so I know that the lights are on or not. I am currently building a Prerunner roll bar for my truck, and I plan on 6 forward mounted and 2 rear mounted Daylighters on the bar itself. If you run a dual battery setup, then it should be no problem to run a bunch of lights. It is going to be cool! Can't wait to get it finished. good advice: use relays for the lights, switches are only rated at 30 amps, usually. Relays take care of all that ails ya. And good size wiring also helps out, I run 8 guage at least, bigger is better if possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts