Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just thought I'd forward a news report I heard on the radion this morning. The Sierra Club and the California Coastal Commitee are trying to close the Oceana Dunes to Off Road vehicles. Apperantly I couple of birds live in the area, and feel our vehicles endanger their habitat. This is the last beach that allows off road recreation. Hopefully enough people will speak up to keep this beach from closing. I encurage people to right to the Sierra Club and or the Coastal Commitee to fight to keep it open. If they do decide to close it, I will try to find dates, and we should all try to make one last trip.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The california 4-wheed drive clubs association, and "Friends of Oceano Dunes" are both fighting this.

http://www.cal4wheel.com/

http://www.oceanodunes.org/index.asp

Also don't forget to check out the issues with the Rubicon and the rest of the El Dorado National Forest, as the same groups are trying to close them, too.

http://www.delalbright.com/rubicon.htm

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Press Release
For further information, contact
Pete Conaty, Executive Director, CLORV
(916) 447-1761
Environmental Defense Fund and Sierra Club sue to close Oceano Dunes SVRA
November surprise could end life as we know it at Oceano Dunes SVRA

November 30, 2001 – In a “November Surprise” the Environmental Defense Fund and the Sierra Club filed a lawsuit against the Director of California Parks and Recreation, Rusty Aerias; Deputy Director, Off Highway Division, Department Parks and Recreation, Dave Widell and the Interim Supervisor, Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area, Steve Yamaichi, “in their individual capacities.” They are accused, in the lawsuit, of failing to protect three wildlife species found at Oceano Dunes SVRA (ODSVRA)

The lawsuit demands the State immediately close the ODSVRA, in San Luis Obispo County because the State Department of Parks and Recreation has not done enough to protect the Western Snowy Plover, the Least Tern and the Steelhead Trout. However, California League of Off Road Voters (CLORV) and other Off Road groups believe that State Parks had done an exemplary job of protecting these species at ODSVRA since the State officially took over Oceano Dunes in 1982. Californians have been riding vehicles along the beach at Oceano Dunes since the car was invented.

Environmental extremists have long wanted to close down the last 3.5 miles of the California Coast, open to off road vehicles, for a long time. “It is extremely ironic that they have chosen this time to sue the Governor Gray Davis Administration, when the Davis Administration has done so much to improve environmental protection at all State Parks.” Stated Pete Conaty, Executive Director, CLORV.

CLORV, California Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) and Friends of Oceano Dunes are working with David Hubbard of the law firm of Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch, in Sand Diego, to fight this lawsuit. Various Off Road groups have also retained Mr. Hubbard, in an effort to fight the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) closures in the BLM California Desert District.

In order to handle the financial cost of this lawsuit, CLORV needs your help desperately. Please go to http://www.clorv.org to contribute online.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and signed a petition against the closure. If anyone is in the area the petition was in the atv shop near one of the beach entrances. I'm up for a Pismo trip in the near future. Anyone else? Tunis?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
im good for one also. and i think most of the so cal group is as well. i just need to get a paddle tire for my bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
rambrdr,
yeah 2x4's are allowed i like to 2 wheel sometimes. if you have the right speed you can sometimes make it back to competition hill. well all me and some friends,family are going to pismo april 19-21st to celebrate my b-day,since i was able to keep my truck its gonna be fun,anyone and everyone is welcome to go..hopefully i will be able to meet everyone instead of sitting on the side of the road working on my friends truck..hope you guy's can make it..chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anyone else here hate tree huggers on crack? Why should the government not taking proper care (if that indeed is what happened) of said species make it illegal for us to go play there? Tree huggers are gonna be the death of us all.

-Chris

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You know, im in favor of keeping our country/planet in good shape too, but why do a couple of birds have to ruin all the fun, its getting really rediculous when they have to shut down a whole 2000 acre area for 25 birds.....Fu#k the birds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts