Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this but what exactly is backspacing refering too? And while I'm at it, what is the meaning of stuffing the tires?

Thanx,
Topper

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Backspacing is the distance from the back of the tire mounting flange to the backside of the wheel rim. The more backspacing, the farther under the truck the wheel is relative to a wheel with less backspacing.

Stuffing the tire is when you are experiencing a lot of suspension articultation and pushing the tire as far into the wheelwell as possible. Much like this:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
"stuffin the tires" is what happens when you stuff a tire up into the wheel well, causing rubbing. The stuffing is caused when sufficent lift is lacking to prevent the wheel from hitting the body. In other words, when your out wheeling, and you choose to drive up this knarley ravine you off to your left, and your truck happens to stay somewhat level, but your running gear is "Crossed up" major, chances are, if you don't have a lifted suspension, some of your wheels will be "stuffed"
Which is what we all wheel for anyhow. (one of the reasons anyway!)
Backspacing. Laymen's terms, basically, the center of the rim, (where it bolts to the vehicle), it's position within the rim as measured from the inside edge, to the the center. Lay a board across the rim, then drop a tape measure down to the center. Thats the "backspacing" backspacing is important, in that some tires with rims with incorrect backspacing, can cause the tires to hit the vehicle when turning.
There are others out here that can probably explain it better, but that's how I look at it.
Troy

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Got in there just befor I did Jason!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx alot guys. I appreciate the info. I hav a 96' 1500 SLT with 3" suspension and 3" body. I am trying to find out as much as I can to figure out if I will be OK with the 35x14.5x15 SSR's on a 10" rim. What do you guys think? National Tire says I can get away with 37x12.5 so I'm thinkin 35x14.5" should make it.

Thanx again.

Topper

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I am running that exact same setup but with 35x12.50, not the 14.50 wide, SSRs. I get rubbing with my 15x10's on the rear fenders

I also get some minor rubbing during turns on the rear corner of the front fender well when I hit a bump hard. It is minor, ore noise than anything. I will be checking it without the swaybar this weekend though.

Basically what I am saying is that the 14.50s will be too wide. Here is a pic with the 3"/3" combo plus the 35x21.50 SSRs on 15x10 wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. Look swide enough...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts