Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new it was gonna happen sooner or later, my drivers side wheel bearing is junk. The thing is grinding like hell when you spin it. Everyone says that bigger tires put alot of stress on your tranny but I have now replaced both wheel bearings within a few months because of the bnigger tires, they just eat them up. Anybody else having this problem? Its gonna cost me $200 for a new wheel hub assembly cause the wheel bearing doesn't come seperate. This is a bad time for this considering I just emptied my wallet for my new gears.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also has anyone ever heard of wheel hub assemblies that have some sort of warranty??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm wondering if your tire and/or wheel is out of round. If something aside from just the size of the tire is causing the failure...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean the tires aren't balanced right or the tires themselves are the problem? With the huge tread they have swampers are usually pretty out of balance from the manufacturer. Anything you reccomend to correct it? I haven't really heard anyone else having this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had 35 boggers on my 97 dodge and also had the pleasure of buying a 250 wheel bearing. Advance auto has a lifetime warranty on them.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
what are the symptoms of bearings that are going bad? i'm hearing a humming noise from the front and i feel in through the steering wheel...but i don't know if it's the wheel bearings going bad, or just the hum of my MT/R's???

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the easy way to test your wheel bearing is to jack the front end up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and see if there is any play. of course if you do it on the sides there will be play in the stearing, so do it at the top and bottom of the tire. if it gets real bad your bearing will hum or roar when it heats up. it is a snap to change. if it has been awhile since your last break job, buy the pads, and take the roters to the local shop. if ya got to tak crap appart, go ahead and fix everything.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With off road tires like my swampers or your MTR's Tunis you will feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. However at 70 mph the vibration for me was pretty bad. When we took my front axle apart to do the gears we spun the wheel bearing and could hear and feel it grinding. With off road tires it is just about impossible to hear the wheel bearing cause the tire noise is too loud and drounds out the wheel bearing. This bearing is like any other on vehciles and if it doesn't spin freely and smoothly then its no good. Mine cost me $160 at a parts store with a lifetime warranty. It wouldn't be so exensive if you just paid for the bearing, but if you got just the bearing then you would have to take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed on which would cost some extra.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The hub units do not need to be pressed on, as they are sealed, non-serivicable units. For around $200 you get an entire new assembly.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah thats what I got, but on some vehicle applications you do buy the bearing by itself. I'm pretty sure all Rams need the assembly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you wasnt to get by a little cheaper than take it apart and measure the wheel bearing itself inside and out and thickness.or if there is a part number thats readable take it with you to a bearing supplyer.tha can cross refence it and get you the best bearing they have.

than take a brass drift and remove the center part(with wheel studs)than use a die grinder to cut the race of the wheel bearing.

once you scored the race than use a cold chisel to hit the race and it will break.

after it is a inner hub.outer hub, and a busted bearing than you can clean the surfaces with emery cloth and install it pretty easy.

had to do it before when stuff wasnt available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts