Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16', 84" wide betwen the fenders, 7k Car Trailer. In really good shape. I'm needing/wanting something longer. Perfer 25-30' range so I can stick a popup camper on the front of it. as far as a popup goes, I only want/need a small one. 8x8 or 8x10. Something small enough I can turn side ways on the trailer so the bed are over the side of the trailer and the deck of the trailer meets the front door.

I have two options:
Buy a New or used 25-30' Bumper Pull or GooseNeck, $3k-5k.

OR

Lengthen my Trailer and do something with the axles or add another one.

Does anyone have some thoughts or idea's to my madness? Money is tight. So the less money spent is best for me.

Rick

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
How about buying my toyhauler and adding a hitch to pull the jeep?

Or i would spend the money and just get a gooseneck. It would save alot of time and will be easier to mount the trailer. Theres a guy on nc4x4.com who just built a toyhauler like your talking about out of a mobile home frame, but it took alot of time/work on it.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
well i think rick wants to be able to take the pop up off the trailer and haul 2 rigs ....

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck camper would be the best.....Just you know I have this nice shiney 7" stack my wife bought me.... So nothing for the bed.

Rick

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe a Semi Truck Sleeper cab? 48" or 60" mounted to the front of my currernt trailer. I bet I could get something to work. hmmmmm just a late night thought

Rick

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Stacks? there so gay......at least run it out the hood :flipoff:

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
try and find something with heat

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heat is no worry, space heaters work nice.

AC is my concern for summer time, so I could install a window unit on it and run the generater if nesscary.

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
lengthening will be cheapest as long as you can weld properly. however, the longer trailer will mean bigger and new main beams, so it may not be worth the effort. sell your current trailer first to offset the cost of buying a used gooseneck.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, back on this trailer kick thing....

I picked up a Military Shelter, roughly 6x7. Making it out to be a nice little camper.

So after doing some measuring, I need a min of a 20' trailer.

After looking at the above pic, what if I would cut the welds that hold the bottom 4" channel that come back off the tongue away from the top 4" channel of the deck. Lengthen it the 4' and built a new frame that tied back together like stock.

I'm looking at it this way. Cant afford a new trailer, wont get enough out of mine in this ecomony, and did I say money is tight?

The trailer is rated at 7k......trailer weights 1600lbs, Jeep weighs in around 4000-4200lbs = 5600-5800lbs which leaves me 1200-1400lbs left over. The shelter emtpy weighs 800lbs. back up to 6400-6600lbs. Would I have 400lbs in steel? and should I be maxxing out the trailer like that?

Rick

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i like this plan the best of all .... if you cant afford a new trailer

as long as when you move the tongue section of the frame forward it will end up still being welded to the original frame

its going to make you have quite a bit more tongue weight ... but you might be able to back the jeep on to help with that

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where the lower section ends near the fenderwell, I'd add the 4" channel to make up for it when its lengthened too. Then fish plate where the new lower, old tongue and orginal deck comes together, so it should be just as strong as stock.

As far as tongue weight goes....where the jeep is sitting in that pic is perfect right now for my truck. So the added weight of the shelter and moving the jeep back 2-3' should off set the tongue weight about perfect.

Rick

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
sounds like a plan .... when ever your ready to start just let me know and you can borrow my big welder, if we could do it here i would offer that too[hr]
you going to try this for this coming trip ? or next go around ? is the shelter ready ?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not this trip. The shelter isnt ready...maybe the next trip......

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts