·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was my 1st time ever going snowboarding
went to to SnowTrails here in Mansfield Ohio

had a blast
rented the boots and board and had an all day lift ticket

talk about being f'n sore... my a$$ and forearms and biceps hit so much on the ground that I have some bruises but my legs are not sore at all

it took bout 5 trips down the bunnyhill before I made it all the way without wrecking

I can't toe-side yet I keep switchfooting

I did toe-side a few times when I HAD TO cause trees were coming

some major flips and wrecks were involved

now the problem is I am hooked!

The board I used was a 150
I am 5'11 165lbs size 11 Boot I wore

It is a very addicting sport and defiently going back soon

I dunno if that was the correct board size

I am thinking I should have had a longer board

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Ok to start off with you have to learn how to toeside/heelside carve without a problem. Start off by getting off th bunny hill. Skiing can be done at slow speeds. You need to pick it up a little... Nothing crazy, but go a little faster to keep yourself balanced. Trust me on this. Now to do the carving. Try to use the whole hill. Don't make short carves, you will learn this later, start by making long wide S's down the entire length of the hill.

Steer with your rear foot, and always lean your weight up hill... (Don't think about it too much it will come naturally.) Keep your knees bent.

To do a toeside carve. Start going down the hill on a heel side carve. Then bend your knees and start to striaght up(going down hill) now instead of stopping at straight, keep turning... Knees bent and point with your lead hand in the direction you intend to turn(This will help your body follow in the right direction) Once you start to turn, start leaning slightly uphill with your body, this will cause the heel side of your board to lift up and not catch. Make sure your knees are bent. The farther you go into the turn.. the more you will have to lean until you once again start to go perpendicular to the hill.

Practice this and then start to link it together.

I can't stress how important it is to keep your knees bent. They act a shocks, and when you lock your knees up your board will have a tendency to want to slide sideways and cause you to catch an edge and fall.

Its really hard to explain how to do this over the internet you have to be there to teach someone.

Now as far as a board goes. You want one that is when stood up is between your chin(sp? lol) and your nose. You will want to get one that is wider or designed for a wide footed rider. Boards come in different stiffnesses... Usually beginner board are more flexy(and so are park boards) More flexs allows you to have it easier to make turns(more repsonsive) and carve since the board bends with how you ride and is less forgiving. Also since you are a lighter rider.. I'm 195 about 6'. It will be easier to ride on a flexier board.

Stiffer boards are hard to carve at slow speeds but once going faster they are much smoother riding. They are also heavier (I don't really know why but its true lol.)

I have a size 11 shoe and am riding on a Ride Mountain.. Now replaced with the Ride Fleetwood. Its a medium stiffness board and made for big shoes. 159 cm long.

I use mine for 50/50 park/down hill.

I would start off with that info.

Practice practice practice... keep your knees bent.. and find a board that is the right height, and width. Boots find light ones that are confortable and walk around in them for a while so you know they wont hurt when you wear them for long periods of time. And bindings.. I have Flow bindings, they are different then conevtion strap ones but do yourself a favor and don't get the ones that you step into adn they lock.. Those are trouble.. They don't hold when you get snow in them, you have to stand to put them on(not always possible) and the boots end up being heavy as hell.

Its a lot I know but I'm also addicted and I'll share what worked for me.

MIke.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
One last thing learn to fall on your forearms and butt... Don't fall on your wrists.. It will hurt like hell after you do it all day and worst of all you risk breaking them. My friend broke his wrist the other day after landing a jump and falling on them.

I have been riding for quite some time and am pretty good and thats a very easy way to hurt yourself and be done for the season.

Also if your going to hit something just fall. Its not worth dodging it.

MIke.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info

yes i know how to fall it didnt take long..
also from playn basketball in HS u learn to cover up the lil parts so they dont break
I landed alot on my forearms and knees hardly maybe 1 or 2 times did my head ever touch the snow unless i was doing rolls

The place we were at we rented equipment and they were the locking boots yeah those bastards are heavy

and i also found out that the bunny hill is harder... u r right u dont get no speed on it
i ended up after like 6-8 runs going to the longer hills

defiently a blast that is for sure!
i recommend it to anyone lookn for something different and it is a good workout!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts