Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum and I'm looking forward to learning a lot. I bought a 98 reg. cab, short bed ram about a month ago and love it so far. I bought the ram because I needed more practical and comfortable highway transportation than my previous built jeep wrangler for my 4 hour trips in between where I live and where I attend college. Anyways, my question involves the skyjacker 5" lift. I would like to start riding some trails with my 4x4 club here but I need some decent clearance and better tires first. But I also don't want to sacrafice the ride and handling of the truck too much. I am used to driving a lifted vehicle but I just do not want a truck that is going to wander all over the road. So what I would like to know is if you have the kit on your ram, are you happy with the way it rides and drives and would you do it again? Also would you be comfortable making long highway trips with your truck now? Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Welcome, it's good to see someone else from SC.

I personally don't run a lift on my truck. I did just order a set of Skyjacker coils for the front though. If you're gonna lift it I would have to say go with the Skyjacker. I've used them before and loved it.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The Skyjacker is the most popular lift on this site by far (at least for the Rams).

With the SFA any lift that takes care of the trackbar and draglink will drive pretty good.

And welcome!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I know this may sound a little bias because i have the lift but the trailmaster lift has a whole new track bar bracket and track bar. The design they have is much better than the factory setup. Skyjacker is probably the best suspension company, however I dont think anyone else on this board has the trailmaster kit so i thought I would put in my 2 cents for trailmaster.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
where at in greenvile do you wheel? are there any good trails up there? i reside in chas, and there is nothing here. skyjacker is a wise choice, sumit has the 5" for under a grand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys, they have been a big help. I am thinking I will probably go with the 5" kit. As to the question of where I will in greenville, I have a few places that my friends and I go but nothing spectacular. I am in a 4x4 club up here at Virginia Tech where I go to college and there is some good places here. If you would like. Drop me an email, and after I get this beast in the air and put some real tires on I can show you some fun places around my area in greenville to ride. Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I totally recommend the Skyjacker 5" lift kit. Definitely the best bang for the buck, and rides real smooth. If you plan on doing any wheeling with your truck, which it sounds like you do, then I suggest going ahead and getting a new trac bar as well. Mine is a 2000 model and my trac bar is already toast at 35k miles. I suggest the DT trac bar, it is worth every penny from what I hear. I plan on getting it (if I don't design one myself first) to replace my factory one. What size tire are you planning to run? There is a lot of good knowledge here, and quite a few good setup rigs as well. Just take some time to look over the reader's rigs section and see what everyone has. Chances are that someone has a good example of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Stay away from the superlift, at has the crappy 2 to 1 control arms and a very poor trackbar relocation bracket.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
98VTRam,

Welcome to the site! :D: I have the 5" Skyjacker lift kit on my truck and it rides better than ever! The stock suspension is way too soft! Whenever you go to larger tires, its going to be normal to wander all over the road, but thats something you get used to! This setup is one modification well worth the money! Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the great replies everyone. I think that I will go ahead and get a new trac bar with the lift as I definitely plan on wheeling the truck. I am most likely going to go with some 35x12.5 AT/KOs. I have the 318 with the 5 speed. I am sure I'll see a loss in power but I am hoping that I can make do with it for a few months after the lift and tires so I can save up some money for some 4.56s and a locker. If anyone has anymore input, keep it coming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts