Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which would be best bang for the buck in getting shifting speedo and tac and such back to where it should be?. how longs does it take to change gears ?i will have the truck apart for lift anywhayz.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
ramraptor
you still doing that lift yourself
let me know the details about how hard it is and what tools you need. i'm gonna be installing a 3" lift on mine this summer and i've never even seen one put on before.

·
Registered
969 Posts
GEARS!! They make a huge difference. I can't believe the power I got back when I swapped in 4.56's.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you have a 98 or later, gears won't shift the speedo back, but the true-speed will.

Gears will cost a couple hundred for the gears, and installation will total up to $1000-1300 or so, maybe less, maybe more.

Gear install takes hours to do right (if you've not done it before), I haven't done it, so I'm not much help there.

Truespeed install should take about 15 minutes, and cost $200 or so.

But, gears will do wonders for your power!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I just did my gears and the time it takes to install can vary quite a bit. If you are good at calculating pinion depth than it should go quick cause thats the real time consumer, taking the pinion and carrier in and out, putting evrything together doesn't take long.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i will be doing suspensiion and body lift with a whole lot of help from a guy in detroit ..he is driving across state to help me!!for $500.. seems like he knows what he is doing..i hope he does as ive never done this type of work either!his truck is this one here....ya like?http://www.skyjacker.com/home.htm.....if this link dont work go to skyjacker.com ..then go to real rides his is the white 2001 dodge his name is frank..check it out

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHY DO YOU SAY GEARS WONT PUT SPEEDO CORRECT???

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On 98 and newer trucks, there isn't a speedo-gear in the t-case, like there was on older trucks.

Instead, they use the RWAL tone-ring attached to the ring-gear in the rear-differential.

So, as you change tire-size, the rpm of the axle changes vs. the speed you are going, which changes the speedo reading.

If you put in steeper gears, the tone-ring still spins at the same rpm it did before, so long as you haven't changed the size of the tires, the gears are "upstream" of the tone-ring, so they don't have an effect.

In the older trucks, the speedo/odo ran off the rpm of the rear driveshaft. So as you increased the size of your gears, the speedo goes up. So if you went with 10% taller tires, and 10% taller gears, the speedo would be about as accurate as from the factory (i.e., not).

But, with the new trucks, 10% taller tires + 10% taller gears means you're going 10% faster than the speedo says.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so woody you are saying even with gears if i want correct speed and shifting i will still need true speed sensor??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts