Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a long wait, they gears have finally been installed! I and a friend of mine installed them, started at about 9am and finished about 8pm last night, with a couple long breaks in between for parts runs. All I can say is: WOW! I should have done this a long time ago. It is no effort for the truck to stay at higher speeds now. And my takeoff from a standstill is awesome. Plus overdrive, being used again! I totally recommend this upgrade, especially if you are running larger tires. The install went fairly smooth, the front end was harder than the rear. Shimming the front for backlash sucked, because you have to press and unpress bearings to move shims around so everything fits right. That was the time consuming part. But, all in all, it went pretty easily. I also recommend having air tools, makes life easier. And an impact gun that has massive amounts of torque, for doing the new crush sleeves. Anyway, I just thought I would share that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sounds great Beast, I knew you would be pleased with the new gears. I agree with you on the crush sleeve, it took a 1/2" torque wrench and a 3 foot long pipe for the sleeve to crush for me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
how do new gears affect you milage and ride quality? i am running the stock 3.55 right now and i am thinging about about upgrading. what would you guys suggest, i dont do much 4 wheeling so i want something that would perform good on the road too. i dont know much about this subject so this might be a stupid question but, whats the deal with lockers, are they different than the gears? as you can see i dont know much about this subject so any help would be great.
thanks
pinkston.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you still have the stock tires, then going with steeper gears may not get you any usefull gains. The off-line performance will be great, but mileage will go down.

Lockers are for people willing to sacrifice on-road handling for off-road traction. Kinda like going with mud-tires.

The eat tires faster, but don't let one tire in the back spin, with the other not moving.

They are slightly noticeable when driving around corners...

For mostly on-street use, best is a LSD, which lets the tires go different speeds, but uses clutches to make them not want to go too different of speeds.

I have the LSD right now (Limited-Slip Differential), but want a locker for off-road use.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well if you do have big tires then gears would be a good upgrade, I gained 3 extra mpg after my gears.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If I had Only done one thing to my truck it would have the gears. 4.56's rock the casbah!!!haha Gears are worth the time and money I dont care how you slice and dice it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I absolutely love the gears now, should have done it a long time ago. I highly suggest this mod. My locker is in the front, hadn't had any problems with the rear as of yet in not spinning both (LSD). The only downfall for having a locker in the front is that the driveshaft always spins, but since the axle is disconnected, there is no "corner tire chirping". That is because one side of the axle spins freely when not engaged in 4wd. You could say that I have true, 3 wheel drive now :wink:. I run 35 Boggers, so the ride is, as you can imagine, not exactly "smooth". But I am going to a less agressive 35" mud trac tire, and it should be much smoother on the road. I will save the Boggers for strictly offroad use. But there is nothing like having absolute traction offroad! Can't wait to get a locker for the rear one of these days...I will become unstoppable! HAHAHAHAHA!!! (evil grin)...sorry, sometimes a force takes over that I can't control...:):

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS. there, that help ya out? :wink:

Who cares how fast you are going, just stay around 60mph and guess that you are going 70 or so...I haven't done the speed research thing yet.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Okay so I understand that I will have better take off when I install new gears on my truck. Will it actually improve my fuel economy though? California gas prices suck...and they will continue to rise. I have enough fun watching the dollars rack up as I fill my truck right now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I totally agree with the Beast, your take off will throw you back in the seat with the new gears. I'm running the 4.56's with 36" tires so you can use me as a reference. My speedo is way ahead instead of behine now, it says 80 when i'm goin about 71mph. Oh well I can deal with that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It all depends on how the truck was ordered. I've got 3.55s in a dana 60 thats an open rear. I'm waiting to do the 4.56 swap untill I can afford a pair of lockers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do the gears you get all depend on the size of tires you have? I see people getting 3.90's, 4.10's and now on this site 4.56's. How do you know which ones will work best for what you want?

·
Registered
969 Posts
http://www.4wheelparts.com:80/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp

This will show you the best gear ratio for your tire.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Does that chart hold true for diesels? I have 35's, and my truck pushes them pretty well. I am not sure what gears I have, anyone know? '99 dodge with the towing package, diesel, heavy springs in back, etc... I'm thinking 4.10's, but I don't know.

Nick.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well a Diesel with 4.10's and 35's should be okay, especially if you have a manual. The trailer package is 4.10's, my dad has that in his 2001.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey folks just wanted to let y'all know that i have a truspeed in my 2001 1500. i have a custom 7" skyjacker and a 3" body lift. i'm running 38.5" thornbirds. the truspeed did fix my speedo and my odometer. it says on the box that it also fixes the tranny shift points, the a.b.s., and the fuel delivery and the ignition timing. all i really got out of it was the recalibration of the speedo. i adjusted my tps (throttle position sensor) to get a little more horse power back.

Hag

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-02 00:53, WhiteSport wrote:
damn u think i should get 4.56 gears next?? or truspeed??...i have 3.55 with 36's right now

i would says get the gears ASAP before you trash the tranny!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts