Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I used my winch for the first time this weekend. I had to pull out a FORD 3/4 ton Diesel with 35's. I would have pulled him out with my truck but the space for a straight run was not available. Plus I wanted to show off a little. So my concern is that if I go by the book (Warn) they say to put the truck in neutral with the parking brake on to winch. When I was doing this, my truck was still moving (grant it that the ford was heavier than my truck). But if I put it in park I'm probably going to damage something over time right? Just looking for some advice or thoughts here.. Thanks DDGETHS

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would refrain from using PARK when using the winch. Nuetral, with your foot on the brakes. By placing the tranny in park, there is a possibility of damaging a pin, (sorry I don't know the correct name for it)internally. (Someone that knows auto's more can probably fill in here) NEVER use your winch cable like a tow strap! (pulling with your truck instead of the winch motor!!)
It's not designed for that. If you haven't got one already, I'd recommend getting a "snatch block" (a pully) It will allow you to make pulls at different angles from a suitable anchor. Or alow you to double the pulling power of your winch, with a straight on pull.
BE SURE to get a snatch block rated for the winch you have! Wouldn't want one comming apart while pulling something!
NEVER,NEVER wrap the winch cable hook back onto the winch cable! Always use a clevis, chain, suitable anchor on a vehicle (towhook) or a tow strap (tree saver) The hook will damage the cable.
When doing a long pull, (distance can vary)
you'll want to lay a jacket, bag of rocks, blanket, something on the cable midway out, to dampen the cable's flight back towards you should the hook fail, anchore fail, or the cable breaks. The hopefully you'll be inside the vehicle, but others around watching could be in danger if a cable breaks.
There will be the few who, will allways be right there next to the cable as you "take up slack" that's ok, But as the full pull begins, YOU NEED TO INSURE the area on either side of the cable is clear for yards! (my practices!) If the space is limited (say in a caynon) then all bystanders should be behind the vehicles.
While winching, sometimes you cannot see the other vehicle. In cases like this, you pick ONE person (hopefully he/she is "winch savy" and listen to that person only. Too many cheifs the kitchen, things get dicy!.
These are practices that my jeep club adhere to when winching. SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT!
I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but if you follow these few rules, you'll find your winch is a very useful tool to have.
Troy

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
question then... if you truck slides when you are trying to winch with the ER brake on it... is it safe to anchor your truck to lets say a tree with a tow strap from the rear hitch reciver? or is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I haven't had to use my winch yet... but I would imagine that strapping your truck to a tree and tring to winch someone else out when they're stuck would be a bad thing. Unless you like having truck pieces on the ground.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What I've seen done on a few occaisons, and seems to be safer than using a tree, is another truck. You're effectively doubling the weight of the winching truck.

The second truck used a tow-strap to link up to the rear of the winching truck. But to do this, I'd definitely use a hitch receiver shackle or other extremely HD mounting point.

The nice thing about a winch is that it's slow, constant, and will stall-out before it maxes out the winch cable or a (new) tow strap.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I think anchoring to a tree or some other STATIONARY object is perfectly fine, provided you tie to a good place on your truck (ie front hooks, hitch) if you think about it, your hitch is rated to pull a lot of weight, as well as the hooks in front. just make sure you dont jerk it at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with it being ok to tie off to a tree with your hitch. Using a second truck as an anchor is fine too. Most of the time if you are getting drug forward it is because you are simply sitting on loose/muddy terrain.
I know a couple others have already stated not to use the winch cable as a recovery strap.
I watched my father try to winch out a stump in our yard with his Blazer and Warn 8000. When the stump didn't budge he got frustrated and pulled forward 3-4 feet and nailed it in reverse. The cable snapped near the stump snaked along itself, broke the Blazers windshield, bounced over the roof, and hit the house across the street. Luckily no one was in the way of that cable. Remember safety is on the shoulders of the operator.
We learn so much from our parents! :p:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I do have a snatch block, tow strap d-rings and tree saver. I have all of the equipment just need some experience with it I guess. Like I said this was the first time using the thing other than spooling it out and bringing it back in for it's first use. thanks for all of the info guys.. Great stuff.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
To anchor correctly, one can anchor to a tree, the strap needs to be anchored at the point of pull (ie.from the tree to the winch) when done this way, it takes the stress off the truck's frame. This is not always possible though. In which case, 2 maybe 3 trucks can be "tied togeter" as was mentioned, effectivily doubling or trippling the anchoring weight.
Most times though anchoring to a tree (properly with strap to protect it) will be enough to get what ever is stuck moving.
Troy

·
Registered
295 Posts
Leave your Auto in neutral and sit in the truck with your foot on the brake. You will screw up your transmission if you put it in park. You may also want to get a set of tall tire chocks to place in front of your tires this may help depending on the type of ground. You can anchor to a big tree if you still slide.

·
Registered
464 Posts
OK... like I said I've never winched before and I was wrong. Glad people that new what they were talkin about came forward :):

-Chris

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Forgot one other item, A PAIR OF GOOD GLOVES
you should never handle the winch cable with bare hands, unless you like shreddin them! get a good set of gloves with leather on the palms.

Troy

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I found this a while back on Warn's site. Should be required reading before using a winch, it's REALLY good.

http://www.warn.com/InternetHome/catalog/winchtech.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts