Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its really hard for me to tell from this pic but im thinking this truck has a d60 up front. can anyone else make it out from this pic? someone i know out of state was out of town... and saw this truck for sale so he snapped a pic. however cant get another one with ease so im hoping this will be enough for you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think round headlights came on the 77 and earlier models. That means it will have drums and a low pinion.
Bud

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dunno. i had a couple 76 and 77 trucks with factory disks and the 77 (granted it was a d44) but it had a hp... i was mainly interested in the truck because the hub kinda looks like a d60 hub... heck if it is indeed a d60 hub then id be more willing to check into it further for the simple fact it may have the 78-79 d60 swapped in it. it does have several swaps done to it including a newer zf 5 speed so it wouldnt surprise me. but if you guys think it looks more like a d44 (going by the hub)ill just let it go.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The hubs look like the are straight (not tapered) so that would mean it is probably a D60. I don't think it is a '78 or '79, the grille looks different, so it wouldn't have the HP D60 that we all want. Should still have a LP D60 though.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are the lp d60 any weaker than the hp? or is the hp just popular due to the fact its hp?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Well, HPs are stronger due to the location of the pinion and the way it contacts the ring gear. Don't get me wrong though, LP D60s are plenty strong, but HPs are technically a little stronger, and also have the benefit of having more clearance from the yoke to the ground, and giving slightly better driveshaft angles for lifted trucks. You may wanna look on Pirate for Billavista's D60 bible, it should explain all of this stuff, and also tell you things like spline counts, shaft size, etc for the LP D60. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was just asking if the hub looked like a d60 hub from the pic :bigthumb: and then went on to ask what the strength differences were between the hp and Lp. its a 78 with a 76 grill a$$embly for the record (just found that part out a lil while ago though.truck already sold but it had a efi 460 with a zf 5 speed and indeed had the d60 up front,dual batteries,snow plow package, and more. truck sold for 2000 bucks :wall: i hate how i miss all the great deals like that. anothe rkicker is the guy who bought it lived out of state and that 2000 bucks was including delivery....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2005-12-13 14:16, outalne94z71 wrote:
that sucks , wonder why it sold so cheap
Guy was hurting for cash is what excuse i got.said hes had a bad run of luck this year

·
Registered
100 Posts
that's a {expletive}ty pic, but it really looks like a D44 external hub to me. Has the red plastic dial and all. The cap on those are rounded and held on with 6 bolts. Early Chevy D44's are the same way, but with different colored dials (blue I think).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts