Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know this subject is on here a thousand times a week, but I have another question about gears. Currently I'm running the 3.92's with 37" SSR's. I'm getting ready to buy some 39.5" TSL's and I was wondering what gear I should get. Is it possible to just keep on running the same gears I have now because I hardly wheel my truck much, and I'm real easy on it when I drive. If not, what would be the best gear to get. I'd like to stay away from the 4.56's because I drive highway from time to time. Thanks.
-Travis

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
4.56, biggest you can go with the 1500s axles.

I plan on 4.56s with my 35s, let alone your 39.5s...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Im planning on the 5.13's for my 39.5's
when I drive down the highway with my 4.11's If im cruising at 60 mph than Ill be turning about 1500 rpm in overdrive, 2200 without od, so i think the 4.56's would be a little better than the 3.92's or whatever you have. Not to mention the gas milage on 40's with a 3.92's would be bad.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
travis,
unless you swap out your axles, 4.56 is the lowest you can go with the half-tons!

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marc, are you saying my gas mileage improve going with the 4.56's or stay the same as it is now? Sounds like I better just go with the 4.56's. It's be a little bit easier on the transmission too. Thanks guys.
-Travis

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Travis, what are you going to do with the ssr's? If there is any life left in em I might be intersted depending on where you are at and what kind of money you need for them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have them listed in the for sale ads. Someone is pretty interested in them right now. There is still plenty of rubber left on them. If I had to guess, I'd say between 70% and 75% tread left. Great tires.
-Travis

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Im saying your gas milage should improve a little, maybe alot if you live in a very hilly part of the country.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Okay, what I want to know, and some people should have already asked, how is it that you are going to clear 39.5's with only 6" total of lift? I would LOVE to run 39.5's with my 8" of lift, but I just don't see a practicality in it. I have seen just 38's, and they barely clear for anything with 8" inches of lift. Or maybe, you just drive it on the street in straight lines...dunno...can you enlighten us? By the way, if you plan on a tire that big, get the lowest gear you can. You would just be wasting your time with 4.10's. 4.56's would be a lot better for your streetability, 4.88's would be ideal, but means changing out axles. Look at what Biginuf is going to do, 5.13's, and that will make him just about right for the highway! Those are LARGE tires, 37" SSR's are not as big as you think, TSL's have a lot more aggressive tread, and they will fill up a wheel well pretty quick...Are you doing a custom lift? Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it'a a custom 8" lift with a 3" body. It's in the works right now. All I need are a few more things before I install it. It sounds like I whould go with the 4.56's by the way all you guys think. So that's what I'll get. I'll get some pics up when it is all said and done. Might be early summer though.
-Travis

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Okay. That answers my question (phew) I thought you might not put extra lift on it...:wink:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Woody, what the deal is is that the rear chrystler 9.25 will only hold 4.56, you can scrap it for a dana 60 and got up into the 5. sometings. The front dada 44 will also hold into the 5. somethings. I use to know because I was thinking, notice the word thinking about a custom lift and rear axle swap but the cost is just not pratical. Ill by a 2500 or 3500 before I do that, and a diesle too.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
gears you should be between 4.56 and 5.38. 5.13 is pretty much factory. you get some better mileage at 4.56 and less tork... and if you are towing you should get the 5.38's

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
A Dana 60 rear axle swap is EXTREMELY practical, and really easy to accomplish. Plus it is CHEAP. I have 5 rear full floater 35 spline Dana 60's sitting here for $300 each. Now tell me again how impractical it is? Of course, I plan on a Corporate 14 rear, there is a nice disc brake conversion for it, plus parts are a bit cheaper. Once again, these axles are $300 each as well...

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
beast, you ever come to charleston SC? if you do load a 60 up. for $300 i will even pay for your gas.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Tell you what, I will be in Tellico later this year, in October, and if you still want one, I will ask you again. I will load one up and meet you somewhere up there close to Tellico. How does that sound? Now, keep in mind, that it is a rear. Fronts are a little harder to come by...

·
Registered
482 Posts
My 4.56's with 35's are geared slightly lower than 3.55's with stock tires. In other words.... With 4.56 gears and 39" tires, you should be right about the same gearing as stock 3.55 gears and stock tires.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think 4.88's are closer to the stock ration than 4.56's...on my truck stock I had 4.11's and 245's to get my 39.5" back to stock I need 5.08's, we all know there is no 5.07 gear, so its a toss up between 4.88's and 5.13's, 4.56's will be close....but since your truck came with less gear than a 4.11 and more tire than a 245, I think the 4.56's will be good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts