Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the front door speakers out of my truck and found a whole mess of wires in there going to the factory amp. I have the Infinity sound system. I need to know what wires come from the deck and which ones go to the speakers. There are 10 wires in the harness green,blue,brown,red,white,grey,purple,yellow,orange, and black. Someone please help I am trying to replace the factory speaker with my own 6 3/4". So I need to tie all the wires together wherever they go.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't want to have to tear all of the speakers and the deck out of the truck to trace wires, I was hoping someone on here would know which ones are what

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
look on top of the factory radio, there should be a harness diagram wuth what wire does what. chances are the wire the decal says is left front + isnt going to change colors going from the dash to the door.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Are you still running the factory Infinity receiver? If so, just disconnect the old speaker and replace it with the new. If not, your best bet would be to rewire all the speakers. Im in the process of rewiring the front speakers. The reason being that the Infinity System uses a "floating ground system" unlike the "common ground system". Its possible to hook up aftermarket speakers to the existing system, but you will get a distorted sound from the speakers...that is why Im rewiring my system....Good Luck! :D:

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 4.56 R&P's, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I don't have the factory deck still in. That was the first thing I yanked. I ended up pulling the deck and speakers out and traced the wires. Unfortunately the wire colors do not match from the dash to the doors so I had to use the trusty meter to trace them. Tunis, when you mention that it has a common ground I am not sure what you mean because I traced all of the wires to the speakers and none of them are the same from speaker to speaker. I am assuming you mean that all of the negative speaker leads are connected together. If that is what you mean then that is not correct because they all have their own. However this is measuring with the factory amp out. So maybe they are tied together internal to the amp, that I am not sure of. I think you are right about getting distortion because as soon as I got the factory amp out of there I was able to go louder without distortion and this is just running off the deck.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I beleive what tunis is meaning is that the negative wire on the speaker terminals is NOT ground, but instead the power is sent to the speakers across the voltage difference between the "+" and the "-" wires, not the "+" and ground.

This is also called a differential input/output.

Grounding the "-" wire may do wierd things to the system.

The up-side is that all speakers want a differential signal, so the output wires (+/-) from your deck can be wired directly to the speakers. However, the Infinity system does some funky stuff.

Both the front and rear left channels go to the left door speaker as inputs, then the amp block outputs directly to the speaker, and through the same block as the inputs come in out, sends the amplified signals to the a-pillar tweeter and the rear speaker.

You can trace those wires using a multimeter out, to figure out which front-left wire goes from the receiver to the amp, and then run the speaker off the receiver directly, and not off the amp in teh door.

You'll also want to tie in the tweeter, if you want to keep it. The tweeter has a half-assed crossover wired to it, so you don't need to worry about that, unless it doesn't perform as well as you'd like when everthing is running.

Your best bet is to run all-new speaker-wires from the deck to the doors. Maybe an hours worth of work, tops.

Also, by going to a heavier gauge wire, you'll get MUCH better bass response from the speakers, as they will be able to pull more current from the amplifiers inside the deck.

So... If you still want to use the factory wiring, I can dig out my FSM, and tell you the pinout of the connector in the door, but I'd recommend all-new wiring, like Tunis mentioned.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woody, thanks for the help but I got it all figured out yesterday. Basically since the factory amp is mounted to the factory speaker I could not leave the amp in there, so I cut all of the wires going to the amp. Then with the help of my trusty meter I traced the wires coming off of the deck and then traced all of the wires going out to the speakers. By doing this I was able to get it wired correctly using the factory wiring. After my last truck I swore I will never rewire a truck again because when I went to sell it and get all of my stuff out of there it was a major pain in the a$$. So from now on I am just using factory wiring unless I decide I really want to run 100watts to each high end speaker which I won't because that is frankly too damn loud.
Anyways, I ended up using my own crossovers for the components in the front door and the tweeter in the pillar so I don't need to worry about the crappy crossover the tweeters had on them before. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts