Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!
So I live near the continental divide in Colorado and get hit with a LOT of snow. I am getting tired of getting stuck in my F150 so I am building a winter specific vehicle. I found a '94 K1500 Blazer at an estate sale for a great price. I have put another $11,000 into the Blazer to make sure it's reliable. Next thing to burn some money on is the suspension. As I mentioned, I need to be able to drive through 20-30" of snow (sometimes deeper). I am planning on putting 38-40" tires on it with a 6" suspension lift and 2" body lift. I have a GM 10 bolt rear end that I am gonna replace with a Strange Dana 60 but I would like to keep the IFS I am just worried that an independent front end won't be able to handle 40" tires. I am looking at getting a set of the new NAPA high articulation CV Axles ( Extended Travel CV Axles - NAPA New Premium CV Axles ) but these are almost $400 per axle, does anybody here have any experience with these type of axles?

·
Administrator
15 Posts
Have you considered doing tracks? Depending on the type of snow or rather condition, you could find yourself getting stuck even with 40" tires in 30" of snow as it will hit your pumpkin. If you can stay on top of the "crust" you'll be fine, but something like tracks might work better.

If you are going with 40" tires and plan to really use it off-road I do not think I would be trying to stick with IFS. This is an age old debate, if you do plan to stick with IFS and 4wd is crucial; you need to make sure you are careful about the geometry everywhere.

What lockers are you putting in it? To be effective in snow, I would think you also will want lockers or a really good limited slip front and rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts