Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got the plenum gasket fixed, today I changed the plugs, I drove about 20 miles,no prob. got back in the truck to go home and bamm chcek engine came on. Whats up?? I checked the wires but they are so damn hard to push onto the plugs, I need a wire diagram and a trick to remove and install the wire on the plug, can anyone help?? Ive never had plug wires this tight.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Disconnect your battery for a little bit (10-15 minutes) then reconnect it. Doing this will drain the computer of the stored energy and clear any codes that may have been triggered falsely, if there is something wrong when the computer restarts (when you turn the key on again) it'll find it.

I've had some codes be thrown on my Z-28 that were not legit and went away after clearing the computer. Sometimes they brainfart and think somethings wrong.

Try that, and all else fails you didn't lose anything by trying. If it goes away I wouldn't worry about it to much.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
If you have a haynes manual, it describes how to get the codes to display. you turn the key form the off position to the on then off then on then off then on and leave it. the check enigne light should start flashing different number of times. i couldnt get my truck to do this when my light came on, but its supposed to do this. get a haynes and it explains all the codes too.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
1998 was the last year you could pull the codes with the key trick, 1999 and up requires you paying the dealer $80/hour.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok since no one can help, the bidding starts at 25,000 Im sick and Im tired of Dodge and their bullshlt. They wont fix stuff and if they do it is halfas$ for 25K you get a 5.9 litre v8 auto, club cab long bed camper shell, winch bumper, 12k winch, power sliding rear window, dixie horn, 2 kodiak electric steps, pioneer cd player, pioneer 3 way speakers, SS speed grille, clear corners, custon painted shocks, 8" susp, 3" body, powder coated susp pieces, drop bracket on rear driveshaft, extended front shaft, pick it up tonight.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went through all the plug wires made sure they were correct, unplugged replugged and had the PCM disconnect while i did it all, hooked it back up and started the truck, No engine light, maybe a plug wire was loose, maybe not, yesterday when the light came on I had already drove 15 miles, it was a delayed reaction. We will see tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is still for sale though. Come on, you know you would look good in it. :):

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-17 09:03, RamBrdr wrote:
Can the reason for my bad gas mileage be the computers fault?? Could it be a faulty code? Let me know.

one way it could be the computers fault is if you went in between july and now and they reflashed your pcm. in july a new program was released to help with the pinging issue. well it turns out in turn you get s***ty mileage and performance.
i still will debate to this day, unless a o2 sensor has its wires cut its the cause. how does the pcm know the o2 sensor is telling the truth or not. i can see in maybe some extreme cases, but lets say that its reading a little funky, the pcm doesnt think anything of it and richens or leans the mix out. anyone one else have the rotten egg smell? an over fat mixture will cause that.

oh yeah...
come on now put down some money what is my bid, do i hear $50?

·
Registered
246 Posts
ok when you clear your pcm there is a computer relearn prosses. so drive it then see. its not a big deal man just relax and take it slow .... cars are simple machines. if you need more help let me know and i will see what i can find on the computer at my work. since i used to work at a dodge dealer as a tech maybe i can find some stuff there too. but unfortuatly with out being there and workin on it myself i cant tell you everything. but you can e-mail me or hit me up on aol messager if you want and maybe we can figure it out. just let me know :): and i hope i can help

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I went through the plug wires while the computer was unhooked, I could find anything wrong with the plugs or plugwires, but when I plugged the computer back in, the light was out. Ive only driven it 5 miles since then, but today I have to go about 30 miles away, if its gonna come back on it should do it tonight. Last time it took about 15 miles after I changed the plugs before the light came on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts