Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my bronco has a limp driveshaft (no thats not a metaphore). i was driving today and i went to pass a car, so i gas it, then i hear a loud thud followed by many fast smaller thuds, like metal. i think CRAP!. i hit my brakes and pull over to the curb, at first i tought it might be the tranny. well i got out and assessed the damage. the first thing i noticed was my driveshaft hanging down, which is kinda obvious. well it turns out i broke the yoke (i think thats what its called) that comes right out of the transfer case in the rear. the work dosent look too hard to replace it, but how much is this gonna put me back for the part? i dont think it will be much but auto zone is closed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: the parts i need add up to nearly as much as a whole driveshaft, so i just got back from buying the new driveshaft. since im leaving for work, i cant install it today, so it should be mobile agian tommorow morning.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Same thing happened to me awhile back in my malibu. The yoke is also referred to as the slip yoke. It is the little piece that has two rabbit ears where the u joint fits in and the other end slips onto the output shaft of the tranny. You can usually find a new yoke at a local junk yard for like $10. All you need is the new yoke, ujoint and a vise and you can do all the work yourself. If you need any more info, pm me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not just the slip yoke, other parts got tore to hell when it came loose, and one of the u joits is frozen, so its almost impossible to get it out of there. and i dont have a vice big enough to fit the driveshaft so this was easier and not a lot more expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts