Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody? You guys have a preference for tires. Looking for something that will give good mud/snow traction but not really lose driveability on the pavement. Thanks for the ideas. I saw an ad for some BFG A/T's I think that said if you got stuck, they would send a truck. Let me know what kind of tires you like. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm running superswamper ssr 265/75r16 with open diffs and have no trouble plowing snow. They handle pretty well in the rain too. They work as well as they can in the mud as an open diff will.

·
Registered
683 Posts
BFG's are real good tires. Mine handle vey good in the rain and off road. SSR's are also a real good tire. A few of my friends run them and love 'em.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hey guys im gonna be need new tires soon and i need a good off road tire thats gonna last a while. any recomendations? Remember i have a 2wd so ill prolly stick with AT's and save my money for the MT's on my powerwagon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just not very knowledgeable about off road tires. And, I am having a hard time deciding between brands. I've heard alot about bfg's. Anybody know what kind of tires Jason runs and if he uses his truck as a daily too?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Jason has Interco SSRs, and sort-of a daily driver. Drives from Sacramento to East-bay a few times a week, drives around town daily.

I have Goodyear MTRs, and love them. Quiet (for a mudder), great in the snow, dirt, mud, etc. I've put 3000 miles on them, and no really noticeably wear. I'm expecting to get at least 25K miles out of them, hopefully more. And I drive a twisty road for 15 miles each way daily. Plus 10 miles of highway driving each way.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yeah but jason also has the worlds longest daily commute of 15 feet. So i dont think his daily driving is as long as most of us.
I have to drive pretty far everyday. Bfg's are a good tire they have been around for a while and have a pretty good reputation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had the BFG MT's for about a year now ans there is more than 50% tread left. I drive about 30 - 40 miles a day on highway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've only got about 4k mi. on my BFG MT KM's, but I am very impressed w/ there road manners and how well they pull in the mud. Great improvement on the past style of MT. The side lugz help offroad w/o affecting me on road. I have not had any problems in the rain or any other condition. I just wish BFG would make a wider tire!!!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
bfg said they would send a truck??? did they list a number for that?? they owe me probably close to 100 trucks. id like to collect for back dues. :): the AT's suck in mud, i hate them everytime i go in a mud puddle. other than that i cant complain. they work good everywhere else, and have even surprised me in a few situations (not mud). if you plan on doing mudding, dont get the bfg AT's.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Yeah I called just to ask them and they verified that they would send a truck. Found the info originally at my local Costco.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-03-20 16:52, rockytfox wrote:
Must be nice! I guess his daily driver is his nikes. Thanks for the info.

Hey.. I represent that remark! Actually its only 8ft to the office door from the bedroom.... and the commute I make once per week is 110 MILES EACH WAY so I probably still put at least as many miles on my SSRs that most people that commute 5-10 mles to work everyday.....

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Also, the off-road recovery BFG includes is for "road hazard" not getting stuck. If you get a sidewall puncture or rip the tread off the tire, then you can call them.... The info is in the fine print in the 2-page ads in the 4x4 rags where they show the cool rigs and the funky colored backgrounds....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have run both the BFG AT/KO and the Interco SSRs. I originally had BFGs then was talked into getting the SSRs. Today, I am going back to the BFGs. I like they way the ride on the street a lot more than the SSRs. And since I drive mostly, to/from work, it's more practical for me. Although, this time they are 37 inchers. Can't wait to get it back from the shop. These are going on my stock Offroad rims, I hope it'll look good!!! I have a buddy going with me, he has a digital camera, so I should be able to get pictures posted soon.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I have wheeled with BFG ATs, Big-O X/Ts and SSRs. For wheeling only, I would buy some bias ply TSLs and for street only I would buy some BFG ATs. For mixed wheeling and street the Big-O X/Ts are great tires. I got a lot of miles out of them and Woody got even some more after he bought them from me.

However, niether are as good in the mud as my SSRs. The main problem with the SSRs is the lack of longterm wear. At the current rate, I will be buying a new set every year (about 20,000 miles). They are good on the road, awesome offroad. Have not tried snow or ice yet (but the locker will have the biggest impact on handling, not the tires)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
With my MTRs, I also figure a new set of tires a year, at 20-25K... I'm putting 260 miles on a week, just commuting.

I put about 10K or so on the BigOs, after Jason put 30-40K on them... I had them for about 6 months, and drove to Idaho and back with them, too.

Granted, by the time I was done with them, two had no tread, and 2 are barely useable as spares...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have always kept a set of the "Mud Kings" on mine. This is my third set and I have been able to easily get 50k with rotations at each oil change. I was told BFG makes them, but who knows. Bought them through Discount Tire Company.Good tread pattern too. I have a set of Cepeks on rims I keep in storage for those special occasions. They cost way too much to use on the pavement. You can kinda see them in my profile pic.

p.s. fox- The key to tire life is proper rotation and pressure if you are putting them on your pavement pounder! That's the only way they'll last.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
it is like this. the more aggressive the worse off you will be. the less agresive the worse of you will be stuck. it is give and take. swampers soft+aggresive= 15-30k, NOISE and rough ride. BFG m/t mild aggressive+harder ruber= 25-50k some noise and not a real bad ride, but hold on tight cuz your wallet is going for a ride. goodyear m/tr's ??? no exp, i wuld guess 20-40 cuz they have some tred to them, but goodyear runs a little soft. wild country, wide track buckshoot and mud king tend to last a good while. i run BFG m/t's now and they have never let me down. i am probably going back with goodyears or swampers tho. i am not a big bfg fan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts