Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of treadlife should be expected out of the current popular mud-terrain tires? My BFG all-terrains are almost down to the wear bars at 51,000 miles and I am considering getting mud-terrain tires for my next set. How do the current mud-terrains from popular manufacturers like Dunlop, Interco, BFG, and Goodyear compare for noise and treadwear? I want more offroad performance but I can not afford to buy a new set of tires every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well if you cant afford to buy tires every 20,000 miles, forget the Interco line of tires, Your BFG MT's do well in mud and last a long time, stick with them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Agreed, the BFG AT's last forever. The Mud's won't last as long because they aren't built to... but they will last you a while for being the type of tire they are.

Same principal goes for car tires... the cheak tires you get from Pepboys will last forever and will suck for what you need them for, but the expensive ones you bought from DIscount Tire< Sears, etc... that are high performance will do GREAT for what you need them for but won't last quite as long.

Tread life is ultimately based on how you use them. Mud tires are made for mud, if the see mud 90% of the time they're used they'll last forever, its the asphault that eats them up. All terrains are designed primarlily for the asphault so they'll last a while on road but won't do quite as well offroad.

-Chris

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to hear from board users what there personal experiences have been with these tires. What mud-terrain tire lasts the longest? How do Dunlop Mud Rovers compare to the new BFG mud-terrain km and Goodyear MT/R?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mud Kings are the BFG line of tires under another name, cheaper but the same tire with a different name on them, if you ar egonna run a blackwall BFG you might as well save monet and get the Mudkings. Ive had 35 bfg mt and at's they last forever, arent nearly as loud as a swamper and handle nicely in rain for a large offroad tire.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i would say bfg or pro comp. had bfg's that lasted for 3 years on a cj, but it was 85%offroad. Don't try wild spirit's, they made it about 18,000 miles and then you could've ran them as slicks. They were primarily driven on the highway.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My MTRs have only a few thousand miles on them right now, but while the edges of the tread have softened some (not crisp, but rounded), the only wear I can find is the rears have worn in the center (too much air), and the fronts are stepped a bit on the outside shoulder lugs, as expected from a solid front axle.

I'm pretty rough on my tires, as I drive on twisty roads a lot (I live in the mountains).

Drive about 50 miles a day.

They're looking good so far.

As far as noise, well, you know they are there. But close the windows turn on the stereo, and only moderate levels will drown it out.

If you're driving mostly on-road, then just rotate the tires frequently to keep the wear even.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ive got a friend running a set of Dunlap Mud Rovers 33-12.5-15's and so far they wear very well. He has put about 15000 miles on them and you can barely see the wear in them plus they are great in the mud and on the rocks. When I buy my next set of MT's I will be getting these plus he got the set for just over $400
by the way my friends truck is a 80 full size Chevy

80'GMC Sierra Classic
350,350TH,NP205,D44 front open,12bolt corporate rear open, 4"lift, 31-10.5 BFG Allterrain KO's, Heckethorn shocks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have some 315 75R16 por comp mud terrains, but i just put them on so i guess i will have to see how they last. On my old S'10 i had some BFG mud terrains, they lasted pretty well, about 3 years with moderate amounts of driving.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
an A/T will definately outlast an M/T, so it all depends on your driving habits...and what you want out of a tire... :D:

·
Registered
683 Posts
My BFG MT's have 10k on them and well over half tread left. They handle excelent on the road, in the rain, and haven't gotten me stuck in the mud yet. One of my friends has Mud Rovers on a Ranger and has gotten about 25 or 30k out of them, and they are slick now. Either are good tires, just your personal preference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts