Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the MSD Ignition amplifiers worth the money in terms of power increase? I'm considering the MSD 6A, but I'd hate to spend $150 on a part that doesn't do anything for me. Also, is http://www.truckperformance.com any good?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Check out Jason's Install (Click the "Tech" link above).

Basically, smoother running, maybe some low-end torque, but not a big increase in anything.

bang-for-buck, an afermarket intake is worth a lot more power (for close to same price).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Already got the intake, just trying to decide what to blow some money on next without voiding the powertrain warranty. Maybe a performance module. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
807 Posts
have never purchased anything from that website, but they have alot of stuff and seem pretty good pricewise too. if i found something to get i'd oreder from them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered my headers, catback system, intake and Jet Chip from truckperformance. They were pretty awesome, got my stuff to me quick(10 days at the most) and their prices are comparable.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
If you are going to get the MSD (which I have and wish I never wasted my $$$$) get it from summit, I got mine for much cheaper than anywhere else. 1-800-230-3030

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i got a jacobs kit from a 4.0L jeep given to me so im gonna install it on one of my brothers jeeps and see if it helps.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
nana, the kit from a jeep

On 2002-05-03 12:23, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
i got a jacobs kit from a 4.0L jeep given to me so im gonna install it on one of my brothers jeeps and see if it helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my opinion, you can't beat the MSD ignition products. Your engine will run a lot smoother and the improvement in throttle response is very noticeable. If all you want is a noticeable power increase, look elsewhere, but these boxes are worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
896 Posts
4 Wheel&Offroad did a test on the ignition boxes, and only got about 5hp max from the best of them, which I think was the Crane. The MSD made 2-3hp over stock, IIRC.

I think those things are a waste of money unless you're running other mods that need a stronger ignition, such as nitrous.

I'd just go with a good quality cap, rotor, and wire set.

My dad runs the MSD on his Ram, and he didn't notice a mileage or SOTP power increase at all.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-05-03 12:50, rockytfox wrote:
OHHHHHHHhhhhhhh! I heard that the Crane kit produces better spark than msd or jacobs. Anybody else heard that?

i second that one. the crane fireball is the ignition that the a couple of supercharger companies send as part of there kit. the crane is digital and the msd is analog. it only takes one spark to ignite the mix any how.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, I got an MSD 6A for free (guy used it once, didn't do what he wanted it to for his race car), should I maybe install it? Is it worth my time and effort? Since it was free, that means no instructions. What wires go where? Anybody got their original instructions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts