Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since It seems that it is impossible to find a set of long tube headers for my 2k1 ram, Would it cause any computer problems that couldn't be solved with one of those little Engine Light Off Boxes if i bought a pair of shorties, then got an exhaust shop to fabricate me some straight pipes through to my muffler, Or is that just a crazy idea, How much do you all think it would run, Hit me back, Thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It's probably illegal for a company to produce them (or at least for you to use them). You have precats that bolt up against the manifolds, which means that the only option is shorties.

EPA says you can't change the number and configuration of cat converters.

You actually have 3. One behind each manifold, and one big one under the cab after the y-pipe.

The extra two cats are to improve "cold-start" emissions, because the catalyst has to be above a certain temperature to work, and the farther from the engine, the longer it takes to heat up.

Granted, I think they are getting a bit excessive these days with emissions regs, but you may or may not have problems, depending on your state.

And your computer may not like it at all, and really lean-out the mix, causing nasty pinging/loss of power, when it's 02 sensors don't get the expected mix of 02 in the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
as long as you put all the factory sensors in their original locations you shouldnt have any problems, there are lots of companies that do that for chevy's. the only problem you will have will be emissions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I live in FL and as far as I know there are no emissions laws that would stop me so it is really the price and computer problems with the o2 sensor, What do you all think about the price?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts